Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1985 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
Removeable swim platform bracket

I am working on fixing up a 85 Stars and Stripes. I would like to put the removeable brackets on the swim platform while I am redoing the mounting bolts for the platform. I have contacted OJ Props about their bracket however the first email the told me they don't make a bracket for my year and then the other 3 emails they never responded. I know they make the brackets because I have searched and found several post where people have put them on their 85 mastercrafts. Any one have a better contact with them or know of a better place to purchase the brackets? Thanks Clayton
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Skier
Hopefully Eric from OJ sees this. If they still have them, he is the one that will know.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Tournament Skier
OJ doesn't make them for our older boats. I installed Alloy Marine brackets. You have to cut out a notch in each side of the platform to clear the eyelets above the deck or the deck won't lift off the bracket.

Pic on post #18: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&postcount=18

OJ seems to prefer to address the issue with one email, and no follow up. Same thing happened to me last year.

Last edited by stars83stripes; 01-21-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars83stripes View Post
OJ doesn't make them for our older boats. I installed Alloy Marine brackets. You have to cut out a notch in each side of the platform to clear the eyelets above the deck or the deck won't lift off the bracket.

OJ seems to prefer to address the issue with one email, and no follow up. Same thing happened to me last year.
Hey ive been thinking of doing the same to my boat.... and had already decised to notch the platform... But what did you do about the small tab in the middle between the two large brackets... I would assume yours had it too as you have an 87-90 and mine is an 89??

Just curious what u did with that
Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1985 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
I have seen threads on here where people say they have bought the brackets for a 85 from OJ. One thread is this one listed below where they posted he was buying the brackets for $270.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...=stars+stripes

Oh well guess I'll have to try other options. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars83stripes View Post

Me too. I have the OJ brackets (purchased 2nd hand), but they don't seem to fit quite right on my '89 PS190. I had a couple of questions for OJ, as I was going to have a local machine shop mill them down to fit. Never heard back after the first email.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Tournament Skier
I removed the middle tab from the teak, and affixed it permanently to the transom. It still provides support in the middle but no longer needs to be removed with the platform.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
Me too. I have the OJ brackets (purchased 2nd hand), but they don't seem to fit quite right on my '89 PS190. I had a couple of questions for OJ, as I was going to have a local machine shop mill them down to fit. Never heard back after the first email.
Fabricated bracket base for an 89 model...

Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Just give Eric a call. 865-458-5205

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Fabricated bracket base for an 89 model...

I have the same bracket base, however I believe mine is not the correct one for an '89 due to following issues:

I think the angle is incorrect. As you can see in the bottom picture during test fitting, when I attempt to fold down the platform the supports want to pull away from the teak - putting the brackets/platform in a bind (and possible damage). The top picture shows when I loosened the bracket to base connection to get everything to work, it became obvious the base was not the correct transom angle. I could used them as removable brackets, except that they position the platform too high.....
The bracket base also causes the platform to hit the lifting rings:

While I could remove material from either the aluminum bracket or the teak, I am not going to do that.
Here is a look from below at how it also doesn't hit the center support, which a few folks on here needed to remove in order to have the platform fold correctly.

Lastly, this is my guess at the correct angle needed for my transom ('89 PS190). I was going to have a local shop mill them down, but the bracket is still too high.

These were purchased from another member on here, he purchased them for his boat of the same year, but never installed them. Now they are mine and don't fit.
Somewhere between SML and LKG