Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
205V ballast install

Thanks to all the forum members sharing their info and guidance as to building this system. Used Wakemakers for the majority of equipment (except the harness which I bought off the internet. Running 3 1" through hulls and 3 each johnson pumps with 750lbs rear bags and ski locker bag. I'm almost done so thought I'd post a few pics. Also learned alot about using the ballast hose as had to heat each connection to go over the barbs. Need a few remaining parts that hope will be here this next week and then off to the lake!
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Looks good
Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
Nicely done.
Why did you put one way valves after the inlets? Aren't you going to drain that way as well?

What I decided in my system is not to share the vent lines. Way too complicated to install, not failure proof and uses too much hose (yes, that's what I learned after having connected the two bow bags with fill/drain and vent lines and having used for that part looots of feet of hose and loooots of one way valves (one for each section of both, bag and kgb vnt line)). Instead I would recon to drill one additional vent hole into the hull near the place where your additional bags are.

Also try to connect vent lines as near as possible to the fill/drain lines at the bags, so no vacuum is possible...

Greetings
Old 04-29-2013, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Looks Nice & Subscribed... I've been collecting parts to do this on my '01 205V
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStar08 View Post
Nicely done.
Why did you put one way valves after the inlets? Aren't you going to drain that way as well?

What I decided in my system is not to share the vent lines. Way too complicated to install, not failure proof and uses too much hose (yes, that's what I learned after having connected the two bow bags with fill/drain and vent lines and having used for that part looots of feet of hose and loooots of one way valves (one for each section of both, bag and kgb vnt line)). Instead I would recon to drill one additional vent hole into the hull near the place where your additional bags are.

Also try to connect vent lines as near as possible to the fill/drain lines at the bags, so no vacuum is possible...

Greetings
Thanks for the compliments! I added checks after the inlets so water flows back over the side through hulls (as it also does when the bags are full). Agree that tying both drain and bag vent to the same overflow adds a lot of complication and additional hose. I planned to tie together but reconsidered when i realized how much hose to pull for the center bag.

I pretty much followed wakemakers diagram for over the side drains and decided against drain and fill though the through hulls because its too hard to determine when the bags are empty. M/C added timers when using this design to keep from burning up the pumps. It is as you indicated, a much simpler plumbing diagram and less work however!