Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Leroy

HO Triumph vs Comp/Freerider

Has anyone skied the Triumph or Comp/freerider? Was talking to sales guy at skier's edge here and they look good as a next step for me. Looks like they have a shaped ski that still has higher level performance as your skill grows, unlike my EP.

I'm leaning toward the Comp/freerider Burner, 67", good for up to 200lbs, and lace up bindings fit size 6-14, good for my sons also.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Was it the triumph or the truth that they are not making any longer?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Leroy

Truth I believe, the triumph is new.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
Yes, Truth is old, triumph is new. Totally different skis though.

I considered the Triumph too for quite a while before I got my Vengeance. They are a bit similar in design. I dont know what the difference really is between them....
I know they both are thinner than the Comp/freerides. The C/F is a much wider ski, take a look at them on the HO website. I wish there were better descriptions on their website. ITs kinda vague, all of the ski mfgs are bad at this. I think they could all do much better in helping customers determine the correct ski. I asked around here alot and did my research, talked to wileys, and bought the Vengeance and I did fine, I love my ski. But maybe I lucked out too, i dont know. They could certainly do a better job of helping customers selecting skis for their skill level. and I called about 5 or 6 HO dealers that had un knowledgable "kids" trying to sell me a ski. these kids didnt even ski!!! they knew very little about their product line and couldnt answer any questions but read out of the brochure. sad.....

My buddy is going to get a new ski next year, most likely the Comp/freeride Magnum 71"( he is about 235 lbs or so) they are quite a bit less money than the Triumph series, and he is too cheap to buy a triumph. so he will ski the C/F.

UMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
[quote=My buddy is going to get a new ski next year, most likely the Comp/freeride Magnum 71"( he is about 235 lbs or so) they are quite a bit less money than the Triumph series, and he is too cheap to buy a triumph. so he will ski the C/F.

UMP[/QUOTE]

UMP, I got the Magnum 71" last year, and have no complaints. Solid ski for my abilities. I'm 6'4" at 245lbs and an intermediate skier with some moments of agressiveness!

Last edited by Kell; 09-28-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Leroy

The sales guy seemed to know his skis and skis courses.

Several have recommended the Vengence for me, it looks nice also....still thinking.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
Burner

Leroy, a buddy of mine who is a learning slalomer got the Burner. He's about 200# I think. It has the double tunnel on it. He's felt that he got beyond it pretty quick and wants something more already. Check the Triumph, I think they have ditched the double tunnel and gone back to single tunnel. That would seem to be a vote that the CompFreeride series with the Burner didn't perform like it was supposed to. The sales pitch I heard was that the double tunnels were supposed to make it easy to turn - 1 of the 2 would be fully in the water even when partly on edge. I'm no expert on HO history, that's just our experience.......

By the way, I hear people bashing the Truth around , but I have a 03 and after taking some time to get used to it, it really flies - I am an open water skier and I am having a lot of fun ripping on it.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
Has anyone skied the Triumph or Comp/freerider? Was talking to sales guy at skier's edge here and they look good as a next step for me. Looks like they have a shaped ski that still has higher level performance as your skill grows, unlike my EP.

I'm leaning toward the Comp/freerider Burner, 67", good for up to 200lbs, and lace up bindings fit size 6-14, good for my sons also.
I skied a few time last year on a Burner, liked it better than my old 1987 Obrian lapointe...I then tried the Vengence once: Lot faster into turns and more agressive.
I ended up buying a Truth this spring, it took me a few week to adapt as it is a lot less forgiving, but now I finally love it. I am skiing the course this year for the first time and am now at 31mph 15' off.

What I want to say is, as a recreational ski, the HO Burner is a great ski easy to start and forgiving. It may limit you if you plan to improve a lot and start in the slalom course as its wide w shaped chanels are slower to get in a turn. The Vengence is a lot more performant but more demanding. The truth is more for the course and not very recreational as it will not allow you to take it easy.
I hope my own unprofessional experience can help your decision.
JC
Old 09-26-2005, 06:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
Leroy,
Thats good you got a knowledgeable sales person!!! they seem to be rare these days.....in every market. Stick with that place.

See, its difficult for me to speak about the skis since I have never skied a triumph. But I will say this, I have had my Vengeance for about 6 or 7 weeks now and I absolutley love the ski. I dont ski a course, but I love to free ski as aggresivley as I can and this ski was the ticket for me. If you push it, this baby delivers. its smooth and graceful in the turns, but its fast when you come out of the corner. just what I like. I think the Triumph would have been an great choice for me too, but the Vengeance gives me room to grow on(which I am starting to do already). the Vengeance will either be a great ski for me to be on forever if my skill level doesnt outgrow the ski, or it will allow me to advance my skill level (if thats possible given my ability, etc..) to graduate into a more agressive ski.
Just trying to give you as much info as possible to help you decide. I know that the advice I found here when I was ski shopping was the best I got anywhere (thanks people!!! )

UMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
The sales guy seemed to know his skis and skis courses.

Several have recommended the Vengence for me, it looks nice also....still thinking.
My brother has the Vengence. Since he is injured, maybe I should start to work on the slalom