Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 209
Bazooka 8" Tower speakers

Has anyone had any experience with Bazooka Speakers? These look almost too good to be true for the price. I think they would be a good fit since there are no speakers in the bow of my boat because they have an 8" speaker in the rear and a 5.25" facing forward.

http://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-MT8252...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
I had them on my Monterrey I/O boat (pre MC days) and was happy with them. They are NOT JL or Wetsounds by any means but for the price, they were fine and I had no problems with them.

I still have their tube (sub) in my party barge and my two sons have their tubes in their vehicles. The point being is their products are well constructied and I have never had any quality issues with them.

Again, they are not to be compared to Wetsounds or JL but they don't carry those prices either.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Ive never been a fan of wiring a small and large or dissimilar speakers together on the same amp chnl. To get the most out of that setup, I would add a 2nd set of binding post and run them on a 4 chnl with each driver on its own chnl. Due to their size difference, they will not share/divide the power equally. Tuning will always be a compromise. You will either be tuning high to avoid over driving the smaller 5.25", which under utilizes the larger 8". Or, you will tune too low to make the most of the 8" and over drive the smaller 5.25".

Just my thoughts.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Ive never been a fan of wiring a small and large or dissimilar speakers together on the same amp chnl. To get the most out of that setup, I would add a 2nd set of binding post and run them on a 4 chnl with each driver on its own chnl. Due to their size difference, they will not share/divide the power equally. Tuning will always be a compromise. You will either be tuning high to avoid over driving the smaller 5.25", which under utilizes the larger 8". Or, you will tune too low to make the most of the 8" and over drive the smaller 5.25".

Just my thoughts.
Thanks for the input, maybe I will opt for the Kicker KMT60s as an inexpensive alternative to the bazookas. 4 speakers up there should give me some good volume at the sandbar, since I do have an amp pushing them.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post

Just my thoughts.
MLA....I know the original post was associated with the old 5.25" but there are NEW Tubbies on the market and from what I understand, the NEW Tubbie clamps are 4 wire clamps for Bi-Amping the Double Ended Tubbies. The NEW Tubbies have an 8 and a 6.5 and they can be wired in parallel on a single 2ch amp, or you can use a 4ch amp and bi-amp them (up to you as to how you wire).

I also think the new clamps feature hidden wires and allow for 360 degree rotation and quick disconnect.

http://www.bazooka.com/products/mari...e-Tubbies-P541

Just wanted to point out they have some new ones on the market....
Old 05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
I almost bought a pair of these a few weeks back, just because they were a good deal.

WOOT! had these on a one day sale for $160/pr + free ship. Quite a bargain IMHO.

Maybe next time.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx1 View Post
MLA....I know the original post was associated with the old 5.25" but there are NEW Tubbies on the market and from what I understand, the NEW Tubbie clamps are 4 wire clamps for Bi-Amping the Double Ended Tubbies. The NEW Tubbies have an 8 and a 6.5 and they can be wired in parallel on a single 2ch amp, or you can use a 4ch amp and bi-amp them (up to you as to how you wire).

I also think the new clamps feature hidden wires and allow for 360 degree rotation and quick disconnect.

http://www.bazooka.com/products/mari...e-Tubbies-P541

Just wanted to point out they have some new ones on the market....
Bob,

Yes, Bazooka did release a new pod and clamp design this spring. I had the opportunity to see and handle them 1st hand at the CES show in Jan. The pods come as a single driver, and then can be converted to a double or a forward facing LED. The wires are through the clamp with the ability to swivel. Nice concept with the clamp, but it was a little sketchy IMO. It basically was the same device that you would find in a steering column for the horn contact or steering wheel controls. Also, the internal wiring looked like it was 18ga. Thats a little light for me.

On the positive side, Bazooka did release a new line of Class-D marine amps. A 4 chnls, 2 chnl and mono. Small, common footprint and decent power.