Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
considering 2010 Nissan pathfinder, towing 94 205

anyone with equal weight tow a 94 205 using a pathfinder? We are considering this purchase as it seems to have the most bang for the buck as far as gas mileage and features.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
My brother just bought one a few months ago and I think he has mixed feelings on it. Mainly because he was expecting it to get a lot better gas mileage than the larger, Tahoe (06 or so). What he found out was that they were pretty close to the same mileage and the Tahoe was larger and more comfortable. That's about all I know though. Bottom line, he wasn't completely satisfied with the Pathfinder. I believe he had the v6 engine compared to the Tahoe's V8, 5.3L.

I can't comment on the towing....sorry.

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I used to be a big Datsun/Nissan lover... No offense to those that own them now, but my opinion on the entire line is that their entire line just plain sucks. After my 83 280ZX, I owned a 91 Pathfinder Ė top of the line, all the bells n whistles... I towed the most awesome boat in the world with it (my dadís 81 sea ray! lol)... I never abused the car, and didnít do alot of towing with it, yet it dropped the tranny @ 58K. then I had a GF who bought al 2004 altima and the catalytic converter internals were sucked up into the engine and at 32K, Nissan put in a brand new engine under warranty.

I have owned two toyotas and between them they had almost 400,000 miles and they are close to impossible to kill.

When this 04 Tacoma dies, itís replacement will be either another Tacoma, or it will be a Tundra.

MC

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2004 MCX
I rented one last time I went to Salt Lake City and loved it when in the city and highway. It had the CVT transmission and it was fine for everyday driving, but when I was driving up the canyon the transmission was starting to smell and get hot. I was driving pretty conservatively and I drive this road every year and never had a problem before. Therefore I would look at something else with a normal transmission for towing.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
anyone with equal weight tow a 94 205 using a pathfinder? We are considering this purchase as it seems to have the most bang for the buck as far as gas mileage and features.
What is the towing capacity and does your trailer have brakes?

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
I used to be a big Datsun/Nissan lover... No offense to those that own them now, but my opinion on the entire line is that their entire line just plain sucks. After my 83 280ZX, I owned a 91 Pathfinder Ė top of the line, all the bells n whistles... I towed the most awesome boat in the world with it (my dadís 81 sea ray! lol)... I never abused the car, and didnít do alot of towing with it, yet it dropped the tranny @ 58K. then I had a GF who bought al 2004 altima and the catalytic converter internals were sucked up into the engine and at 32K, Nissan put in a brand new engine under warranty.

I have owned two toyotas and between them they had almost 400,000 miles and they are close to impossible to kill.

When this 04 Tacoma dies, itís replacement will be either another Tacoma, or it will be a Tundra.

MC
I can vouch for Toyota, being a current owner. Plus my dad has a new 2013 fourrunner that will tow pretty good...almost as good as my silverado.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 205 Prostar LT1
Depending on what type silverado you have, they are probably rated to tow close to the same weight. Not sure on the newer 4runners but the older models were rated somewhere around 7500#
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, '83 S&S Powerslot, Red Metalflake!
We tow our Prostar 190 with a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. NO problems here! We don't have the V-8 but the six has no problems getting it in or out of landings. We only have 3 blocks to get to the lake, but we go to Wisconsin every summer camping and tow with no issues at all.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
I wouldn't trust any of the gas mileage figures they print at the dealer. My wife bought a new 2012 pathfinder (just before they redid everything for the 2013 model year). It gets 14-15MPG consistently (about 1/2 highway miles, 1/2 in town). The interior is loud, the engine is loud, and it idles rough. My 5.7L hemi in my ram 1500 gets the same mileage and has almost 400 hp! (same year 2012)

I wouldn't recommend the pathfinder for towing, especially if you're going up any inclines.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skir68 View Post
We tow our Prostar 190 with a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. NO problems here! We don't have the V-8 but the six has no problems getting it in or out of landings. We only have 3 blocks to get to the lake, but we go to Wisconsin every summer camping and tow with no issues at all.
That sure was nice of Nissan to let you know what color yours is with that plate on the rear hatch!