Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Looking for carpet recomendations!

It is time to order carpet for the refurb. I am leaning toward something around 30 oz. and non patterned. What have you used in DIY carpet installations and what would you avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Just finished carpet install in my PS200. Used 20oz cut pile from Boat Carpet Central. Good prices and free shipping.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by f925 View Post
It is time to order carpet for the refurb. I am leaning toward something around 30 oz. and non patterned. What have you used in DIY carpet installations and what would you avoid?

I would avoid non-patterned carpet- it shows dirt far too easily.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Talking Replacement Carpet

Just finished up recarpeting my '88 Tristar. Went with Corinthian Marine Carpet's Greystone 28 oz. (which is a loop/cut pile pattern) changing it from the original dark blue to the grey. I was wanting to upgrade the look of the carpet, wasn't interested in getting the cheapest carpet.

I would caution on going with a too heavy/thick carpet if you're wrapping the center panels. I had a bit of trouble getting the panels back in. It also tends to shift the panels around a bit front to back and it seemed like I was always fighting it somewhere.
Where the carpet wrapped down into the bilge, I had to go back and trim the bottom 3/8" or so off the bottom edge and clean the glue off. It helped the fit alot.

Corinthian has a 'Boat Specials' page where they sell 'remnants' or end of rolls, etc. I bought an 18' piece for 50 cents/sf instead of the normal $1.79 so you can get some good deals. I was very happy with carpet, service etc.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Fanatic

[quote=MikeyOrange88;931661]Just finished up recarpeting my '88 Tristar. Went with Corinthian Marine Carpet's Greystone 28 oz. (which is a loop/cut pile pattern) changing it from the original dark blue to the grey. I was wanting to upgrade the look of the carpet, wasn't interested in getting the cheapest carpet.

I would caution on going with a too heavy/thick carpet if you're wrapping the center panels. I had a bit of trouble getting the panels back in.

Your carpet looks great. I had read some earlier posts expressing difficulty with the longer carpet and the center panels which steered me towards the 20oz varieties. Got samples from several places and found the Boat Carpet Central 20oz cut pile was shorter but more dense.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Thanks Orbeamlb.

@F925 - Order lots of samples (free from most places) I ended up with a bunch. Overtons's sells some Syntec and Shaw heavy weight carpets. They'll send you free sample cards or chains with the colors you want. Good Luck.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Thanks for the replies, I have some samples from Corinthian, I need to order some from other places and compare. My wife is not in love with the patterned carpet, ant to be honest while I love the look of it in boats the samples just don't feel nearly as soft.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 351 Windsor 1:1 Borg Warner
How did you install the carpet?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredOSU View Post
How did you install the carpet?
My 25 year old carpet pulled up quite cleanly making for good templates to cut out the new carpet. Cleaned up the glue remnants with a carpet scraper from Home Depot and wiped down thoroughly with mineral spirits (let dry a couple of days).

Cut your new carpet with a carpet knife using the old carpet as a template (make sure to align all carpet pieces with the grain going the same direction before cutting so all carpeted surfaces have a consistent look throughout the boat).

Lay in and align one piece of new carpet in its place then spread the glue in small sections, I started from the bow and worked my way to the stern (the under bow area in a ProStar is rather fun with the tight space). Used outdoor carpet glue from Lowe's and applied it with a notched trowel for carpet glue. Keep the mineral spirits handy to clean up any glue that gets on the carpet face and anywhere else you don't want it. Repeat for each piece of carpet.

Good luck with your install and post pictures to show off your work.

Mike