Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 90 prostar 190
replacement harmonic balancer

I replaced the engine last summer with a rebuilt 351W and GT40 P heads in my 89 prostar 190 . During the install i put a strap wrench on the harmonic balancer to turn the motor over and I am pretty sure i tweaked the harmonic balancer ( the outer ring flutters while engine is running ). My question is can I match it up to one at autozone ,summit or ebay etc. for about $65 or do I really have to pay $275 from a MC dealer?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
You will need a harmonic balancer puller, but I would remove the old one. It is possible you weakened the rubber in it. You should have used the crank bolt to turn the engine over.

Take old one to parts store. Compare the two. If they are the same and they should be, then but the cheaper balancer.

I would remove it and inspect it though. They should not wobble when the engine is running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You will need a harmonic balancer puller, but I would remove the old one. It is possible you weakened the rubber in it. You should have used the crank bolt to turn the engine over.

Take old one to parts store. Compare the two. If they are the same and they should be, then but the cheaper balancer.

I would remove it and inspect it though. They should not wobble when the engine is running.
Yup,
Never seen a "marine" version of the balancer. Only issue you might have is that they sometimes drill the balancer to balance the engine. May want to see if has balance holes drilled on the backside and compare with the new one to see if they are close to the same.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
The purpose of the balancer is in fact to balance the engine. That *should* be a 28oz balancer, and an automotive version will work.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
The purpose of the harmonic balancer is to dampen the twisting forces of crankshaft. Do what Kyle suggested go to an auto parts store and source one there, or order one from summit racing. I would replace it asap, if you did damage it, your bearings will fail prematurely.