Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X-15 w/MCX
Evolution Cover Feedback

Looking to do the Evolution Sunbrella cover for my X15... anybody have any experience with these? No poles, supposed to be 3 minutes to cover... like the idea of the claws over the rubrail to secure. Factory cover leaks and pools, plus the stiching uravelled... piece of crap.

Same/similar price as the ones with poles from skiboatcovers... this seems like a great idea- what I am missing? The guy at Evolution said the gore tex thread is a bad idea because the gauge is too big, and makes holes that don't "heal"...

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
I had one when I had my 05 supra ssv and I loved that cover! worth the money!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
My factory cover on my 09 X14 was only used for about 6 months cumulative outdoors and it leaked but didn't pool. I will probably look to either evolution or skiboatcovers for one for my 97

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
I have no experience with the Evolution cover, but I can tell you that Sunbrella fabric is great stuff. I have a Sunbrella beach umbrella that lives on after 20+ years. No matter which maker you choose, it's the fabric you want.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 ProStar 190
I have an Evolution Cover. Replaced the Skiboatcovers, that in my opinion, didn’t fit very well at all for being “custom”. The Evolution cover fits supper well. Nice and tight. I like the design. 3 minutes seems a little sporty for installation, I’d say 5 or 6 is more reasonable. The Evolution cover (and other brands) are advertised as trailer-able. While it is very tight, I still put “Seran Wrap” on the gunnels if I will be going very far on the freeway with the cover. Cory did tell me that if the boat is sitting at an angle that does not promote runoff or you didn’t get it quite tight, it could pool. The cover is pretty flat near the back on my boat. If it pools, it will sag and stretch and then it is more likely to pool again. His recommendation to me was to use a PVC pipe to make a “pole” just tall enough to not touch the cover unless pooling is threatening. Cory also said that if it does stretch, he can fix it. Cory was good to work with. He had not previously made a cover for my particular boat (1995 SP190) and since I am local to his shop, he made a new pattern directly from my boat. So far (1 year) I’m totally happy with my purchase. S