Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Slalom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48fst4VcrA - Slalom video before lesson

After a late season visit with Doug @ The Liquid Edge for my first ever slalom lesson (been slaloming since I was about 8 and am now 27) ...

1. BEND KNEES
2. Lead with hips (not shoulders)

End Goal: Make it through a slalom course.

Its been a hard process to do "drills" and change things I have been doing for a long time. Right now I am about half and half, but I have a long ways to go. Hopefully can make it back for a lesson earlier this year.

Wakeboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7xoB5dMh0

1. Get better riding on my opposite foot
2. Tricks on the flat
3. Do a trick (was working on wake 2 wake 180 but would settle for anything)

Both:

1. Not be afraid because of my knee
2. Not hurt my knee

Sorry for the videos being really far away and a long post.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschildm View Post
Slalom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48fst4VcrA - Slalom video before lesson

After a late season visit with Doug @ The Liquid Edge for my first ever slalom lesson (been slaloming since I was about 8 and am now 27) ...

1. BEND KNEES
2. Lead with hips (not shoulders)

End Goal: Make it through a slalom course.

Its been a hard process to do "drills" and change things I have been doing for a long time. Right now I am about half and half, but I have a long ways to go. Hopefully can make it back for a lesson earlier this year.

Wakeboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7xoB5dMh0

1. Get better riding on my opposite foot
2. Tricks on the flat
3. Do a trick (was working on wake 2 wake 180 but would settle for anything)

Both:

1. Not be afraid because of my knee
2. Not hurt my knee

Sorry for the videos being really far away and a long post.
I'm with J... we can encourage each other... I am getting a bit better and will be using my video camera after every run to make sure I lead with hips and be agressive.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I'm planning on a trip to farmer city hopefully near the end of the month. Went once and was good stuff.

Mike - What I see when I watch your video is a tendency to have slack before you start your first cut.

If you do any one single thing - pull out - but ride the pull out with the handle so you don't have the slack, you never want to start a cut while holding slack line, it just doesn't work, also keep your hands on the handle on that first cut, no reason to let go with the outside hand, atleast not until you have started linking a bunch of turns with out slack.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
My goals for 2013.

1) Run -38 off. Last year was 3@-38. This year so far I'm at 3@-35 after 2) 4 pass sets.

2) Attack the wake harder on sky ski. I learned the left flat gainer and right flat back roll last year. Also I want w2w wake roll instead of my 3/4 wake roll or back roll, Right side gainer, then the front roll and wake roll that is the opposite rotation as the current rolls. This will add 3 more inverts to the 3 that I already know.

3) Lift up my skirt, grab my bag, and learn to throw a mobe on the left flat. (Gainer on port side flat where you come in wrapped and unwrap the 360* while inverted, ball & chain) or learn a fung schway (gainer that is not wrapped so when you there the gainer you release one hand and start to rotate while doing the gainer and do a handle pass behind the back all while doing a gainer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
After stepping threw frames.. I can see some problems.. regarding the slack yeah I will be scrutinizing ever run...this side by side shows a number of issues...

#1 not leading with hips
#2 rope held to high
#3 ski riding low
#4 ski not in an aggressive enough turn
#5 shoulders need to be pulled back to maintain stacked position.

luv the new camera... : )

Going to make my a camera mount out of pvc that looks like the one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200905164816...84.m1423.l2648
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 PM
MC Maniac

Mike I can't ski west coast slalom. Are you trying to learn it because Marcus is your favorite skier or because his style of skiing is closest to yours.

I'm more of a Parrish or Cox skier. Both non west coast skiers.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
I like this thread. I am on track to meet my weight reduction target by the time I ski for the first time this year. I have free slalom skied for years and love it but ever since my neighbor at the lake asked me to try his course last year I got a bug. I know it would be advised to get professional help and I am going to try to get down to Liquid Edge but my international travel schedule is a biatch this year. If you were starting fresh, in great physical shape and wanted to learn how to ski a slalom course for the first time, what would be your course of action? I know for some of you, you are going to have to go back in time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am very driven person that takes advice so if it means I do some sort of training drills most of the season well so be it. I want to do this bad!!
Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 AM
MC Maniac

Eric

I teach lots of newbie skiers.

Do NOT ski the course 1,2,3,4,5,6

The key is trying to get a pattern of timing. So start by cheating the gates going to 1 ball. Cheating meaning simulate them being 10' or more closer to the pregates. Then ski 5' inside of ball 1,2,3,4,5 and then ski around 6. Once that is accomplished ski or shadow 1,2,3,4 then ski around 5 and 6. Then shadow 1,2,3 and ski around 4,5,6. Do this until you can run the course.

After running the course add the gates.

If you try by running gates followed by running it 1,2,3...... And you mess up then you stop skiing and the entire rhythm and timing does not get recognized. We have a mini course inside of our standard course. So my students run the mini and start adding standard buoys from the finish to the start.

Just skiing around random buoys will get you nothing. After you learn to run the course and you mess up shadow the buoy you messed up at and get back into it. Until then learn the course backwards. It works

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Kyle
Cool idea and noted. I am a total newbie and I am sure I have horrible habits. Do you have any training tips when I can't use a course? Good video, etc
Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 AM
MC Maniac

Eric

Unfortunately I've never used a training video or much less taken a lesson. I learned the course backwards out of a book. Then I watched the pros on YouTube. I learned to ski by hard knocks and skiing every day. Seriously I skied 70+ days in a row and sometimes 2x a day. Longest ski streak ever was pushing 85 consecutive days. Skied on whitecaps, wind, rain, it didnt matter. I planned my day around skiing and what time would would be the best time to go. Oh and the lake is not in my back yard.....it is 30 min or more away.

I went from not being able to ski the course at all to going to the nationals in 3 yrs. the key is time on the water. Not really the videos for sale.

Quote:
Quote: