Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I have several close friends that are pilots and when they are between jobs, itís upwards of a 2 year layoff. My advise is to stick to what you know, and moonlight in what you wanna do until you know you can branch out.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I'm not as old as you guys :0 but My father always told me life is all about what you can and can't deal with.

As a private pilot myself (Currently earning my IFR endorsement) I don know there is a lot of openings for flight instructors. In fact you could buy an airplane and do your own instruction and not work for someone else. You get to fly for free, teach what you like to do, and get paid for it. However there is not a ton of money in it if you don't have a decent client base.

I think in my retirement I will be doing just that. But I am a biased.
watch how you refer to old
Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Rod from what I've gauged over the years, you need to be self employed or have similar freedom so to speak such as a manufacturer rep, sales rep, or something similar. If granite was selling like it was in 05 I doubt you'd have lost your passion for it. I'm not being cynical, same holds for me in my contracting business.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I'm 46 and I think of a career change every day. So I can be the guy that says "I Love What I Do"...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Traxx,

keeping it simple to start. You buy into a weekly or bi weekly membership ( 6 weeks or 3 months) Portioned in either 2 or 4. You can add more portions as you go but then pay per portion. At the moment I serve 2 white table cloth restaurants and not looking to pick up any more. These accounts really cut into my margin. My most expensive is 504 for a 4 portion 3 month membership. Least expensive is 126$ for a bi weekly, 6 week membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Not a bad idea Covi, I too urn for fresh fish. We baked up some catfish for dinner last night. It was good. But not that fresh. I'm guessing the price goes way up for your clients. And you are looking at finer restaurants. Correct?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
My closest friend from law school opened a brewery last year. He is working his tail off, but has found great success. Your being in CA, I wouldn't suggest that path since that industry is full there.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covi View Post
Traxx,

keeping it simple to start. You buy into a weekly or bi weekly membership ( 6 weeks or 3 months) Portioned in either 2 or 4. You can add more portions as you go but then pay per portion. At the moment I serve 2 white table cloth restaurants and not looking to pick up any more. These accounts really cut into my margin. My most expensive is 504 for a 4 portion 3 month membership. Least expensive is 126$ for a bi weekly, 6 week membership.
nu-uh... that would cut into water time... no way - no how...
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
nu-uh... that would cut into water time... no way - no how...
How would that cut into any boat time? Sounds like easy ROI. What's your percentage on that. I'm thinking my fiance could sell fish. Lol no seriously this seems neat. What percentage of return do you get? I got some wedding money coming. Covi, I might buy your next portion for some consultation and direction.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Kind of old to really hit it as an airline pilot, as seniority is everything, and that is hand in hand with age.

However, there will be tremendous opportunity for pilot jobs in the coming decade. Huge retirement numbers and maybe even some growth.

Time off, there is ample opportunity for more than average time off in the flying career. Not hard to have 15 days off per month.

YMMV.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 x-15
My cousin just retired at 55 from being a park ranger/manager, took a course and became a long distance trucker for a year, then decided to get in the airline industry and is now a flight attendant. Seems to be a need for older males for that line of work. That maybe something to look into for travel and schedule that would fit. I've been a high school history teacher for 24 years now and will be looiking soon enough for a job that I don't have to plan for every day and entertain 150 teenagers for 5 one hour shows!