Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MC X Star, PP
Securing Boat to Dock?

Well my boating over 4th was terrible its rained 5days straight at the lake house. That said I got up this morning heading to church early aroind 730am. As I do my normal morning stretch I noticed at the dock my boat was missing.. Yep gone..Thinking Stolen... I then notice the water had rose over 2ft-3ft my dock was under water. As I am running in only boxers toward dock which is 50yds from house in the pouring rain I see my boat floating out of our little 300 yard inlet area into the mouth of the main lake.

I catch a ride to boat .. as its resting in trees downed across the lake just at the edge before opens into mouth of lake.

Well My MCOCD is bad so the boat did have its cover on it.. despite sitting in a cover boat slip.

As I got on boat thought.. what happen!! Notice dock cleats still attached to dock lines on boat.. so I knew then what happen. Boat lifted with rising water and pulled cleats out of wood dock.. they were just screwed in from top side not bolted all the way thru.

So lesson learned.. now I'm thinking do I need docking lines hanging from the roof truses than to dock floor.

What's everyone's docking habits? Probably want have rain fall like this in another 20yrs but my OCD is peaking.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Assuming you're not tied to a floating dock right?
It sounds like you had some pretty short dock lines not allowing the boat to float higher than the dock. Do you have a dock on both sides of the boat with tall pilings? If so, you should use 2 spring lines on each side of the boat so it doesn't move forward or backward, a bow line on each side and criss-crossed stern lines at the stern. Leave enough slack so that if the water level comes up you're still ok.

But if it were me and I new a lot of rain was in the forecast, I would put her on the trailer.

BTW, once the dock is actually under water you're asking for boat damage no matter how good you tie it up.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:10 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Assuming you're not tied to a floating dock right?
It sounds like you had some pretty short dock lines not allowing the boat to float higher than the dock. Do you have a dock on both sides of the boat with tall pilings? If so, you should use 2 spring lines on each side of the boat so it doesn't move forward or backward, a bow line on each side and criss-crossed stern lines at the stern. Leave enough slack so that if the water level comes up you're still ok.

But if it were me and I new a lot of rain was in the forecast, I would put her on the trailer.

BTW, once the dock is actually under water you're asking for boat damage no matter how good you tie it up.
^^+1 - 90% of the time I trailer... when I leave my prostar in the water in Canada... I watch the weather like a hawk... Bad weather moves in...she's on the trailer.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Yes non floating dock.. and there was a pontoon next to my boat w no walkway between. There is 3 ft space between the two but tight for my OCD.. jersey good idea on tying to support beams going up versus truss. No way would I have guessed that TVA would keep the water locks closed Sat Night where the days before the boat never really moved and it rained just as much.
I normally always pull mine out but thought with that much rain the covered dock would be better. I called my buddy last night to advise his pontoon was about to go thru my trusses and to get it. His boat floated out with a foot to spare. In the 30 years of being at this lakehouse never saw it rise this far much less that fast.

Now back to docking lines and securing boat.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X7
+1 on the spring lines. I always use spring lines no matter what the conditions are. I tend to tie the bow from the bow eye and the stern to the rear tow after running the line through the lift ring. I usually tie them off with a bowline knot. Then I use the cleats on the boat for the spring lines....bow to stern. But like everyone has commented, I watch the radar and unless it's a short shower, she's coming out for my sanity.

2002 X7 (Current)

1988 Tristar 190 Open Bow (Old)
Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks I will check into Spring Lines... never used them.. just for FYI sake I checked today and the water level went up 4 feet in 10 hours, and within 24 hours which was way past once my boat was rescued it had gone up 6 feet. No matter the lines, my boat would have pushed through the roof trusses, so next time the boat comes out.

Several home owners around the area were not so lucky, lots of boat damage, Jet ski's underwater etc.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I think you had a situation beyond normal docking preparation.

Spring lines might have helped but it sounds like you are limited by the dock.
The description is rather vague but it sounds like you basically have an extra wide dock well, large enough for two boats but no separation between?

Sucks the boat floated out but might have been the best result given the situation.
We always clip a very loose line to the bow D ring as a last resort but given your close proximity to aluminum I am not sure this is good advice to you.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Solution to all of this: Floating dock/lift.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I've been considering some things for a similar but lesser problem.

I get sick of bringing to the boat into the lift/out of the lift to load and unload.

If my bunks are too low I have to hand center the boat which is a chore, and if they are too high the boat gets stuck on the lift.

Being a small boat, if you go out with 4, pull one and drop at dock, pull another who drops at dock, and then go onto the lift you are floating so high that the boat needs to be caught/held.

Conversely, if you go out with 2 in boat and pull a skier from the dock who climbs in after set, and then pull another from dock who climbs in, you are so low that you cannot get on lift.

Therefore I have been gathering hardware like so.

U bolts. Galvinized 1.5" iron pipe. PVC that fits over iron pipe.

I am going to U bolt the galvanized pipe with a spacer such that the pipe comes up from the dock vertically but attaches below the waterline, the PVC will then also extend down past the waterline.

Over the PVC I will slip rings like such. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5ea-2-ID-x-6...81114653894%26

Then I will tie off the lines to the rings and leave the boat float against the PVC, waves and wakes will allow the boat to ride up and down the pvc, the rings will slip up and down and as such the lines will stay fairly taut with out restricting the boats ability to ride on the waves, and therefore can be tied off such that the boat won't "bang"

I also figure that there will be enough deflection in the iron pipe since it will be spaced from the dock structure and the relatively large "free" length.

I can draw this for you if required - but for your situation, say your water is normally between 4 and 8 feet - your pipe would be ~8 feet long, they would be attached about 2 feet from bottom with a U bolt at the far end, then the PVC slipped down and the second U bolt at about the low water mark - it will hold the PVC and the iron pipe. The ring will then be free to ride from the 2 foot U bolt up to the top of the pipe ~6 feet up. And at no time will the line be looser/tighter than how you tied off the boat.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM
MC Fanatic

88 PS... I like the direction of your thinking. MZimme if I had it to do over I would do a floating dock. I went back to the scene of the crime and the water levels have rose another Foot, I should have took a picture because it would speak volumes.

That said anyone got pics or info on these Spring Lines?