Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 197
X2 Trailer, garage, plate, platform questions

So I'm gonna have an X2 soon. Either an 07' or an 08'. I typically trailer my boat to some local lakes - under 30 miles round trip. Occasionally I will take it to a larger lake that is 50 miles roundtrip. I prefer to keep my boat in the garage when it is not being used. I'd honestly love a tandem but just not sure my garage can handle it.

I've been reading with some interest the other thread talking about X2's fitting (or not fitting) in a 7ft standard garage. I've also been told that nothing sticks out above the windshield height when the tower is properly folded down by my dealer. I'd love some photos and comments on that issue.

I might have a choice between a tandem or a single axle trailer.

Here's my questions.

How hard are the tandems to maneuver in close quarters with the truck attached?

Is it possible to maneuver the trailer by hand - getting it in and out of garage. Or is it pretty tough to change it's path in a short distance like with a single axle. I have 106" of width from trim to trim. Considering the weatherstripping, I have 104"

Can someone measure the height from the floor to the top of trailer guide with the guide cover off? My garage door opening is tapered in the upper corners, so I'd have to pull the guides off. Wondering if the naked posts would fit through. Looking for two numbers - distance between the outside of guides (laterally across trailer at top of posts) and height from floor to top of guide. I'd love to get the measurements for both the tandem and the single axle.

Also - the specs say the X2 trailer with tongue folded is 20' 9" long. My garage is 22' 2" from door to back wall. If I get the boat with the fold down platform and attitude plate - how much will the platform fold? Anyone have a picture of an 08 or 09 with that attitude plate and platform down? I'm thinking that if I have to - I might pull the bolt from cylinder to bottom of plate - let the plate and cylinder just flop down so I can fold platform straight down. If necessary. Be easier than taking the platform on and off. Anyone done this?

If this boat isn't going to get into a 7 foot garage, I might give more thought to an X15, since one of the main reasons I'm going to the X2 is because it is still 'garage friendly'

Thanks everyone!

edited May 09:

I have the boat now, and as of May 15th - this adventure has been concluded. On a single axle MC trailer, a 2009 X2 can indeed fit into a standard american garage. Now the definition of 'standard' may be a topic for debate. Here in the northeast, a 'standard' garage is 7 ft tall by 9 ft wide. "Garage friendly" being put in the description by the manufacturer, well I'm not going to give my opinion on that. I'd say "garage friendly***" just like a statement referring to Bonds as the all time home run record.

Anyways, it was possible by removing 6 bolts, 4 pieces of the tower, filling the boat with gas, and having 2-3 people present. A detailed pictorial is now included later in this thread.

Last edited by Witness140; 05-20-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
from what i've read on here... the X2 is shorter on the tandem than on a single axle trailer which stands to reason... i think the difference is a inch or two but that can mean all the difference

don't have the plate so can't help you there

can't measure currently but the height of the guide posts are going to be fairly dependent on where the tongue of the trailer is... that can be solved easily w/ a flat garage entry... the issues i had was that the swivel racks were the part that hit on my garage... and no... there was no maneuvering i could figure out to make it work... garage just wasn't tall enough... measure measure measure... then give and take to make sure you can get it done if garaging is a big deal for you...

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Old Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1 New Boat: 2008 X2 MCX
I have been looking into this myself and from what I have found with a lot of help from folks on here is that you will need at least 22 ft maybe a little longer to shut your door depending on the lip of your door. and about 10 feet wide on tandem axel trailer. Thats what I have been basing my search on at least. hope that helps!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
You can't manuver a tamdem trailer by hand. Too heavy. At 104", thats gonna be tough to get it in that garage door. I've got 120" and I have about 8" on both sides. I'd be scared to try and put it in that hole, and I'm a pretty good backer. Is it possible to modify your opening and doors?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I don't know about the measurements, but a single axle is much easier to maneuver. I chose a single when I bought new this year.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I don't know about the measurements, but a single axle is much easier to maneuver. I chose a single when I bought new this year.
You'd have been a whole lot less tired when you got back home from CSM if'n you'd had a tamdem!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
You'd have been a whole lot less tired when you got back home from CSM if'n you'd had a tamdem!
Not if he was pulling your tandem.......................Ever check the air pressure in your tires dog???
Old 10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 197
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty proficient with backing, and I have a level approach to the bay. Trailered and garaged a 197 with mini tower for about 2 seasons regularly. Bill from New England Watersports gave me some good measurements - thanks Bill! My 22' 2" is gonna be a bit tight to get it in with platform folded down - without collapsing attitude plate. Seems to me that my dream of storing the boat between uses will either be too time consuming, too difficult, or too cost prohibitive (garage mods)

I found a pic in another thread of a collapsed tower, and without pulling the fork I can't see how the rack plate gets below the windshield line for a 7ft garage.

I know it is physically possible to get the tandem into my bay width wise for long term storage. I also know that length wise I can pull the attitude plate's bottom cylinder bolt and fold down platform and get it in. Most critical dimension seems to be height. That is gonna push me towards the tandem, as I would have a height advantage with the tandem.

Thanks everyone. Thanks rooney for the pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Witness140; 10-21-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: photo credit
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
I have a tandem trailer (08 x2) and I have a side load garage that I have to put the boat in at a 45 degree angle. I also have a 7 ft door. I have to take one of the board rack forks to allow the board rack to fold down when the tower is down. I then have to jackknife the trailer while I partially get the boat in the garage. I then have to use wheel dollies to jack the back two wheels off of the ground and then I can manuver it by hand. It isn't easy, but the moral of the story is when you can only have either a new boat or a new garage, you can figure something out. My garage is 16 ft deep by 18 ft. I will put som pics up tonight.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witness140 View Post

I found a pic in another thread of a collapsed tower, and without pulling the fork I can't see how the rack plate gets below the windshield line for a 7ft garage.

I know it is physically possible to get the tandem into my bay width wise for long term storage. I also know that length wise I can pull the attitude plate's bottom cylinder bolt and fold down platform and get it in. Most critical dimension seems to be height. That is gonna push me towards the tandem, as I would have a height advantage with the tandem.

Thanks everyone. Thanks rooney for the pic.
That pic of the rack is with it tilted about 30 degrees so it is off the vinyl. You can tilt it more so you get more clearance. You can't put it completely sideways because I think it sticks out beyond the guide poles. I too have a 104" garage door opening and store it in my garage everytime. It leaves very little room for error. I back it in no problem though everytime as long as I hug one side to the door and watch it carefully. Only have about a couple inches to spare. The hard part is not getting it in but getting it out again. If your off center at all you have to back it up and try again. Hard to re-center it once in garage.

edit; also that tower is sitting up a little more so it is off the vinyl. I have a 2 x 6 under it with lots of towels as padding to keep everything off the vinyl. You take those out and let it sit direct and the back section goes down a lot more.

Last edited by Roonie's; 10-21-2008 at 05:38 PM.