Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Yes. That is how mine is too. So I can strap the stern down, but not wit a strap over the top of the boat.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Yes. That is how mine is too. So I can strap the stern down, but not wit a strap over the top of the boat.
Over the top is a really convenient way but finding an old school strap like that is a challange. I used two hand towls to put under the strap. No big deal for me.... and no issues with rub marks....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I just put my engine in the back of the boat.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
I rear-ended a Lincoln right after a rain with my first boat. It had 3 points of attachment at the time. It straightened a hook on one of the rear straps, ripped the stitching out of the other one and twisted the front winch support 180°, but the winch strap remained attached. The boat ended up 4" from the rear window of the Blazer. Other than a good scratch in the bow of the boat - it suffered no other damage. I had a guy stop and drag the boat rearward on the trailer approximately 3 feet to get it back in the original position. Needless to say, it then only had the winch strap holding it in place and the bunks underneath it. The bow roller was 2 feet in front of the bow. I would NEVER drive anywhere over 20 mph without my rear straps. It just makes sense and is so EASY TO DO. Why not?

2013 X-25
Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I always love these posts that blame the cops for doing their job when the person being pulled over is completely in the wrong. Lets not even mention posing a danger to everyone on the road, including himself. The "fact I have been doing it this way for years" obviously overrides state law.

While maybe not the case when u originally purchased it back then, it is the case now. Your boat and trailer combo requires some sort or rear tie down. If you had to swerve off the highway, blown an axel, or had to slam on the brakes from 60-0 is a split second you would not be running around without transom straps. Just go over a set of railroad tracks and see why. Most people think it can't / won't happen to them. Well when it does it's too late to say I should have known. Whether it be a stap that goes from one side of the trailer to the other , or like my 2000 that were gunwale straps for each side, ( basically a strap with a padded u bracket that fit over the gunwale, you need something to lock the transom to the trailer it's a huge safety factor in an emergency. In an emergency situation you hopefully now understand why.

Please don't blame Johnny law for your ignorance or misconceptions after 26 yrs. Whether tactful in his approach or not ( that is a different debate) the fact is you need the tie down. He just gave you a warning and the heads up ie no ticket and you are still complaining. Staties love code violations and that's an easy one. Thank your lucky stars that Trooper didn't hammer ya. They pretty much hammer everyone in wisco . I wouldn't say jeopardizing everyone's safety on the road is a crap reason to get pulled over. You should have actually thanked him for maybe saving someone's life down the road by bringing this to your attention without dinging you with a ticket .

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Last edited by swatguy; 04-28-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I drove across the half the country with mine not tied down in the back. Don't turn me in SWAT. Just kidding

It was an oversight. I almost always do it but the midnight departure and excitement had me make it all the way to NC from Chicago before we pulled it up to the ramp and I said, I wonder if my straps fell off" then I found them in the bed of my truck. So stupid. Not one of my finer moments.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 ProStar 190
Short slow trip to the lake, looked into the side mirror as the trailer nailed a bump. Winced when I realized the trailer was going to hit the bump, winced again watching the boat lift from the bunks several inches… Now, never travel without the transom tied down... never should have. S
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Transom strap of some sort has been well covered.
Equally amazing the even more people that think the bow winch strap is an acceptable retainer. It is only there as a recovery mechanism not for road travel. The bow chain that comes on many is simply a secondary to prevent total slippage on the ramp.

A ratchet strap going from bow directly down to the trailer makes a huge difference in minimizing bow movement. The winch pulls horizontal, bounce is vertical!
I tow with a 1 ton truck and yes, there is a difference when the bow is not secured. Anyone towing with an SUV or 1500 should notice an even greater difference given the soft springs.

Straps are not intended to retain the boat in a flip, but to prevent small movement. Momentum is the enemy. They don't have to be massive. I run a 2" but even a decent 1" can make a difference.
Two examples in this thread - http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics...-299935-3.html
First pic is a turnbuckle second is a strap.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

I agree with setidball and onewheat. Too easy to do to sweat it. Why not????? The only time i don't use tie downs is around my lake, where I drive 20 mph and know the roads well.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
My 83 trailer does NOT have anything on the trailer to connect straps to. When I go to the lake around KC, I don't worry about transom straps since its a 1 mile road at 35mph the entire way. If I take it further away, I used a ratchet strap to hook to my transom lift eyelets, then run down and wrap around the trailer frame somewhere. It's a pain in the ***, but worth it to know the boat won't be bouncing around.