Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 02:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
He's correct.... Did you ever see the picture of my 79 with the 1-point of trailer attachment? ..........Sitting in the ditch..... Those boats do not sit on a trailer in a guaranteed manner.... not an almost laughing matter....

I too was convinced that it would sit there always.....79 model, 86 model.. all the same when it comes to laws of physics....

.......trooper is correct in more ways than one...

How did that happen?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Clearly it's better to have transom tiedowns - anyone who thinks the boat sits heavy on the trailer and doesn't bounce around or move hasn't been behind one that is not tied down and watched it.

Having said that, seems a bit heavy handed and obviously your experience points to the fact that although it can happen, it likely will not.

Having said THAT, I will never trailer a boat without transom tie downs.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionMan View Post
How did that happen?
I'll save that story for when we meet in June at the 2nd annual official Skidog mania lake event.....

(unfortunate traffic accident)... The boat had 10 hours on it.....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
I did not read all the responses yet. But, I would have laughed as well. I only and have ever used the front bow bar. Your boat did come with a ratchet strap that goes over the gunwales of the boat behind the motor box and secures to the two eyes (each side) of the fenders. I don't use my strap because I don't want to scratch the gunwales of the boat. And do not feel like stuffing rags underneath to prevent this. HAHa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotvl View Post
So, I was taking my '86 to the lake yesterday and was pulled over by a state trooper who informed me very seriously that "you are living on a hope and a prayer". He ordered me out of my truck and showed me that I "did not have 3 points of contact" on my boat holding it to the trailer. I almost laughed at him but didn't think that would go over very well. The boat came from the factory in '86 with only the front tow hooked up the bar on the front of the bow. I explained this to him and that I have been towing this boat like this from the factory for 26 yrs. and if it was going to move or fall off it would have by now, but he didn't buy it. He gave me a warning. Any similar stories or insight on this? P.S. I looked up the state statute on this and in WI it does say that a boat must be secured on a trailer at the bow and stern to prevent shifting but I don't believe there is a way on an '86 to do this without putting a strap all the way around on the back which would rub on the boat, ......... NO GOOD!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Another mis-nomenclature..... Other than rear tie-downs, it's the only secure way to keep a trailer under the boat. Look on the fenders right behind the wheel well (where you may step). You'll find a tie-down ring bolted to the trailer frame for the strap.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
nope. My trailer is a VM trailer and it does not have rings there, nor does it look like it ever did. It does look like it had (used to have) carpeted protectors to keep the boat from rubbing the fenders, but those tabs would be nowhere near strong enough to keep the boat on the trailer so I'm pretty sure that is not what they were for.

That is a painful pic of your 79. Ouch!
Cloaked was correct in saying the rear tie downs keep the trailer under the boat; not the boat on the trailer.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Up to 9 years ago, I only used the bow connection as well on my 82. Then I seen the photo Cloaked posted above and I became a believer on a strap over my boat to hold the trailer under it. I quad fold a towel and place it under the strap to prevent chafing and do not over tighten as you are only holding the trailer against the boat.

I did have an instance once before that when I hit an unexpected bump and had the boat bounce and come down on the corner of the fender. Lucky , no damage to the boat and minor damage to the trailer. I have seen an 86 that had the fender destroyed from a similar experience.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Quote:
Another mis-nomenclature..... Other than rear tie-downs, it's the only secure way to keep a trailer under the boat. Look on the fenders right behind the wheel well (where you may step). You'll find a tie-down ring bolted to the trailer frame for the strap.....

None on my 85.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
None on my 85.
You got cheated...

In seriousness, trailer mfgrs are required to provide points of attachments to meet state (many similar) laws for the such, TN being no different... What you do not get from the seller is the strap for anchoring the boat... I still say you got cheated....

However, in TN boat trailers are not required to be registered. None. Nothing in the way of registration if it is made for a boat...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
For lunch ng tows we've always done a long strap over and just let the tension hold the hooks to the bottom of the trailer frame. Towel on the gunwale to protect the hull.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft,powerslot,1983,pleasurecraft 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
nope. My trailer is a VM trailer and it does not have rings there, nor does it look like it ever did. It does look like it had (used to have) carpeted protectors to keep the boat from rubbing the fenders, but those tabs would be nowhere near strong enough to keep the boat on the trailer so I'm pretty sure that is not what they were for.

That is a painful pic of your 79. Ouch!
The trailer for my 83 is a VM. It has an eye on each side of the rear directly under the transom eyes on the boat. They are about 2 in from the tail lights.