Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-07-2017, 02:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft x55
Help! 6.2 ops overheating issues

I have 2011 x-55 with 6.2 ops, this past weekend at Lake Cumberland I wasn't paying attention to my gauges and we noticed steam rolling out of the engine compartment which was the engine coolant boiling out of the overflow. From what I understand there are supposed to be alarms that go off and/or will shutdown once a certain temp hits but when I realized what was happening it was at 250! No alarms, no shutdown. After inspection I saw it threw the serpentine belt and immediately thought easy fix. Put belt back on, waited for it to cool down and fired it up, watched the belt operate smoothly (not slipping) however my temp continues to climb way above normal to point I have to shut it down. Im going to pull my impeller tonight but I have a hard time believing that 2 things failed at same time (belt and impeller or water pump or thermostat). I filled reservoir back up with coolant but just wanted any advice on this. Does the closed cooling system need burped? Is it possible when the belt gave out the water pump took a crap? BTW my raw water valve is open, screen is clean, and I'm getting good flow through the sight glass going to the water pump.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, '05 X10 & '11 X25
Some photos of your engine bay might help.