Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-9
Unhappy Need Your Help!! Dealer Can't Find Problem

Hey all - we have a 2003 X-9 with 950 hours on it. About two weeks ago the engine started coughing a bit. Did a quick tune up, changed the plugs, oil (cause we were at about 50 hours), new distributor cap, and a overall check of everything. Seemed ok but then a few days later the boat completely died. It would crank but never turn over.

We took it to a dealer. They said it was the fuel pump. The next day they called and said it was actually the ECM - Electronic Control Module. A 2k part. Nice right? They said they had to order it directly from Indmar because these never go out and no one stocks them. Guess we were the lucky ones. They got the part in this past Saturday and put it in. Went for some test drives and the boat was still acting funny, coughing, and just not running smooth.

They sent us on our way cause we had a family part at the lake and wanted the boat. Got it back in the water on our lake and it started crapping out again. We replaced the relays on the engine, put the new fuel pump in, and still problems. So it went back to the dealer on Monday.

The issue is still the same. The boat seams to run ok in idol but as soon as you accelerate anywhere between 10 and 20 mph it dies and the engine light goes on. They have been on the phone with Indmar and still can't figure out the problem.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS IT'S A HUGE BUMMER AND JUST MAKING US DIG DEEPER AND DEEPER IN OUR POCKETS TO FIND OUT THE PROBLEM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
What engine?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 AM
TT Regular

Indmar 350 MCX
Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Can't help...hopefully other with that engine will post soon.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM
TT Regular

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I had a problem where after my computer would heat up my injector driver would would act up and not spray correctly on one of my injectors, but mine was mainly a bad idle, and sometimes low speeds. But yours is a different vintage than mine.

MGBOYD25 had an issue on his 04 where his wouldn't restart after heating up and the dealer had him replace the computer, and that didn't fix it. Not sure of the actual reason but could PM him and see if he gets back to you.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
which dealer did you go to? I see you are a neighbor -- any problem codes get stored when the engine light comes on?

when you say coughing - are you saying misfire? Did they change the fuel pump as well?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Make sure you get your old ECU back. If it is not bad at least you have a spare for later...

Assuming all the grounds and batteries checked out okay? but in troubleshooting all is guilty till proven innocent. Seems a rash of bad grounds/cables.

Did you replace the whole fuel pump assembly? new fuel filter? check the fuel pressure with a gauge? check the connections and the injectors spray pattern?

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue....
Old 07-30-2014, 10:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
was a computer diagnostic performed or are you and tech shooting from your hip?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Check the antisiphon valve (spring loaded barbed fitting on the fuel line on top of the fuel tank). Should be about an $11 part you can replace yourself. I have had the exact same symptoms on my boat and the ASV was twice the culprit. Ethanol in fuel causes some varnish buildup on the ASV and it will stick. Cleaning them doesn't seem to resolve the problem for long. So replacing them is the best option. I keep a spare on my boat.

If it's the ASV, get that money back on the ECM and shake your head at them when they hand it back to you.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Tags
engine looses power, no power, problem