Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
Let us know if you find a solution.

I have checked and changed everything except the fuel pump & filter (next on list), but I still cannot get the revs above 4200 with out it misfiring / backfiring. Somedays it will run to 4500rpm / 42mph and stay there on 3/4 throttle but stutter / mis etc on full throttle. Pulls like a steam train up to 4000rpm though, above this is where the challenge is!
Can you run it at night, in the dark? You would want to remove the engine cover for this but it's more loud than unsafe (unless someone tries to stick their fingers in the belt and pulleys. Look for arcing between the plug wires- I think I mentioned them before and I would bet they're not insulating the way they should. Cross-fire will cause exactly what you're describing.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Can you run it at night, in the dark? You would want to remove the engine cover for this but it's more loud than unsafe (unless someone tries to stick their fingers in the belt and pulleys. Look for arcing between the plug wires- I think I mentioned them before and I would bet they're not insulating the way they should. Cross-fire will cause exactly what you're describing.
Yep, ran it in the dark, (Scary at 40mph in the dark, but know the lake and did a slow cruise down first) no arcing. Replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributer & rotor. Used dielectric grease on all joins (not contacts of course). Have also removed all earth contacts and cleaned and replaced where necessary. No Change. Fully charged battery.

PS have also replaced, map sensor, TPS, idle controll valve(faulty), injectors(buggered), temp sensors (all 3), checked earth resistance and wired new earth lead to compare - no difference. Fuel pressure is as per manual at idle, and 2000rpm -sprung a leak at 3000 but still looked good, fuel was spraying over the motor by then so no test at 4000rpm and above.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
Yep, ran it in the dark, (Scary at 40mph in the dark, but know the lake and did a slow cruise down first) no arcing. Replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributer & rotor. Used dielectric grease on all joins (not contacts of course). Have also removed all earth contacts and cleaned and replaced where necessary. No Change. Fully charged battery.

PS have also replaced, map sensor, TPS, idle controll valve(faulty), injectors(buggered), temp sensors (all 3), checked earth resistance and wired new earth lead to compare - no difference. Fuel pressure is as per manual at idle, and 2000rpm -sprung a leak at 3000 but still looked good, fuel was spraying over the motor by then so no test at 4000rpm and above.
Ant testing of the Ignition Control module? Make sure the base of the distributor is clean and making GREAT electrical contact to the block- that's where it gets its ground reference, not any of the black wires. Also, make sure the IC module is grounded to the distributor body. In addition, make sure the spring clip on the rotor is making good contact with the center electrode.

Did you write that you verified base timing at 10BTDC in Diagnostic Mode?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 prostar 205
Got new Taylor wires and plugs just finished putting them in and I think I found the culprit! I know it's obvious but when I fogged in fall last year plugs looked pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2013, 04:40 PM
TT Regular

Wires are very nice 8mm taylors got info from a member posting on here they are from inboard online. The ones I had were Packard electric marine seem to be smaller maybe 7mm.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiknox View Post
Got new Taylor wires and plugs just finished putting them in and I think I found the culprit! I know it's obvious but when I fogged in fall last year plugs looked pretty good.
That would do it.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 PM
TT Regular

Ran it today with new plugs and wires ran much better close to 44 on GPS at 4600 rpms I'm happy with that!!! I've heard of some better numbers with lt1 but this thing pulls hard.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com