Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X7
Clarion MW1 Remote Installs

I am replacing my old Clarion XMD2 head unit with a CMD6 which also means I have to replace the remote on the driver armrest. I was debating if I want to put the much larger MW1 remote in the same place as I am not thrilled about having to cut a larger whole. I bought both the MW1 and MW2 remotes, but now debating what to do. I know I will lose a lot of functionality with smaller remote, but it will also look more like it was "supposed" to be there.

Has anyone replaced the old Clarion remote with the MW2 and where did you put it? I have 2002 X7. Ideas?

Thanks!
Fletch

2002 X7 (Current)

1988 Tristar 190 Open Bow (Old)
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I just bought a new M502 and MW1 to replace my older clarion and cmd remote too. I didn't know the MW1 was bigger than the cmd. I was going to use the old hole. Boat is at the wrap shop right now. Hope this doesn't cause any problems...My remote is on the transom currently.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
I just bought a new M502 and MW1 to replace my older clarion and cmd remote too. I didn't know the MW1 was bigger than the cmd. I was going to use the old hole. Boat is at the wrap shop right now. Hope this doesn't cause any problems...My remote is on the transom currently.
The MW1 is bigger than the old Clarion remote from XMD series (model number??) by an inch or so IIRC. I believe the old remote was for a 2 inch opening. The CMD is the head unit that works with the MW1. What did you have before?

2002 X7 (Current)

Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Sorry I have the older CMR remote with an older M109 deck, I believe.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-2, 2003, 5.7L Predator
Just ran into same problem! Shame on me for not verifying dimensions. I bought the new M303 and the MW1 remote to upgrade me 03 X2 clarion system. Wound up returning the MW1 for the MW2 ... which is semi disappointing because of the similar price on Amazon but greatly reduced cool-factor of the MW2.

Very interested in anyone's solution to this - planning to install the MW2 today

Austin
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 AM
MC Fanatic

What's different about the size? Is it just the mounting hole that needs to be bigger?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

I agree, I'm still a little disappoint about losing some functionality and a display, but I can't convince myself to cut out a larger hole in the panel and modify the stainless plate that is there. Just something about my MCOCD that wants the remote to look like "it's supposed to be there".

Nick, the size is different. The MW1 is about 3 inches. I can't recall the actual hole diameter as I was measuring with a few "pops" last night. But, from what I recall, the older remote from the '01-02 era is just over 2 inches. The MV2 (non display remote) is slightly smaller from a "face" standpoint. The MV1 (display) is about 3 1/2 inches face wise. The remainder of the details are fuzzy at the moment. However, I did get to sit in my boat with a beer

As of now, I think I am leaning towards the MW2 in the slot. My head unit came with a wireless remote that I can use to change more if needed. I may just keep it in my cell phone holder in the same area. I was also going to add a transom remote, but again I can bring myself to drill into a perfect hull. And I can't decide on a great location since the X7/197 transom is small. Now, I am debating the Clarion MF1 Wireless remote for the transom. Granted, I still have to drill a screw in to hold the bracket, but the "Warden" likes this better as she is afraid I will mess up the gel coat. Shocking....

Just looking for insight/feedback at this point. I may go grab a beer and sit in the boat again tonight to ponder

2002 X7 (Current)

Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
What's different about the size? Is it just the mounting hole that needs to be bigger?
I should clarify, as far as I know the mounting hole is bigger. And the cable is different. I bought a new extension cable for that remote. I'll know more after I dig in tomorrow. Going to take that panel off and see what I am dealing with.

2002 X7 (Current)

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-2, 2003, 5.7L Predator
Installed the MW2 today - I'll be honest, that sucked more than I expected. I couldn't reach my arm behind the panel far enough to remove the 3 torx bolts along the top so I pretty much had to blindly feel for the mounting bracket and remove the nuts holding the existing remote in place and reverse for the install of the MW2. Doable, but kind of sucked.

As fletch mentioned, the MW1 is about 1" larger in diameter and would require an extension collar of some sort to allow it to fit - plus some cutting. The MW2 is exactly the same size as the stock clarion remote for those years which makes me all the more upset that I can't just use the old remote.... being that they have identical functionality. Has anyone looked at a wiring diagram to see if the original remote can be rigged to work with the newer gen head units? I would rip that $125 dollar unit out and return it in a heartbeat....

On an up note, everything works great, including the M303 headunit which I have paired with both my and my wife's cell phones for streaming Pandora - very excited to use out on the water!

Austin

Last edited by Nutter281; 04-28-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: couldn't*
Old 04-28-2013, 12:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

I figured it would be a PITA to reach and get the old one out...I love fibergalss rash

I never thought about Pandora.....we never use it. I have XM in both cars and home, so that's all I was goinng for. I did buy the XM kit for the CMD6. Hopefully I can do Pandora too.

Out of curiousity, how tought was it to remove that panel? I have 2 screw visable and a throttle. Planning to dig in tomorrow after mowing.....

2002 X7 (Current)