Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I'm not opposed to the other upgrades.

Just scared that loud pipes on a king ranch would be ghey.

I'm also not opposed to a CAI

I'm just worried that if I drop 1k in upgrades that I would be disappointed.
my magnaflow is not loud, nice deep tone under accel and almost stock quiet at idle (not flowmaster sounding), but overall I think you would be disappointed in the performance level or rather non performance for 1k bucks. best to save another 4k to the first thou and put a supercharger on it. I actually lost about 2mpg when I put this stuff on my truck, I mean honesty if everything goes as advertised its at best 50 hp you won't feel that in your seat dyno, other than maybe crisper throttle response.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 04-25-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
my magnaflow is not loud, nice deep tone under accel and almost stock quiet at idle (not flowmaster sounding), but overall I think you would be disappointed in the performance level or rather non performance for 1k bucks. best to save another 4k to the first thou and put a supercharger on it. I actually lost about 2mpg when I put this stuff on my truck, I mean honesty if everything goes as advertised its at best 50 hp you won't feel that in your seat dyno, other than maybe crisper throttle response.
Thanks James.

I kinda figured the seat dyno would be pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
Agree with the comments regarding the $1K spend. You won't feel much of anything but a better throttle response and quicker, firmer shift points.

I sold my motor for $650 on Craigslist and will be installing the supercharged Lightning crate engine next week.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Has anyone put an aftermarket programmer or chipped the 5.4L.

I'm considering doing my KR but don't know what brand is the best. Will I feel a good butt dyno or not? Will my gas mileage go from 14 to something better.

I have cleaned the throttle body, installed a K&N filter element (not cold air) and thats it. I want to change the plugs in the near future. 94k miles.

Thanks
I changed my plugs in my 5.4L at 83K and when I seen them it could have stood being done earlier. Just my experience.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Be careful changing the plugs, they can get stuck with carbon on the electrode and break at the porcelain. I changed mine at 60k to curb this. I think they changed design in 2007 so you should be ok, but if they start to squeak while removing stop and soak it down with carb cleaner so it wicks down to soften the carbon, give them a good soaking for awhile then carefully remove them. They also take a special 14 mm (9/16)socket a standard 14 mm will not work. Apply some nickle anti seize to threads and where the threads and the electrode tip meet, if they do break matco has a special removal tool so the heads don't have to come off. I did a salesman truck awhile back and every f*! ing plug broke even after soaking. An hour job turned into 4 hrs of *... My local Ford dealer charges $450 labor plus plugs and an extra $100 for every broken one...

socket http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...SPK-PLUG-SOCK/

broken plug remover http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...rce=igodigital

I'm sure you can find the equivalent online somewhere
Interesting method to remove the plugs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQevez-DG0
Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 AM
MC Devotee

Champion plugs over Motorcraft - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoSh9O3XOho
Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
there really arent any large gains to be had with that engine, but if you are going to go with a tuner i prefer the superchips tuners. the new one that uses your android phone is pretty nice, i've installed a few of them now and also have one in my ecoboost F150.
as far as the spark plugs, you should have done those at 60k miles with the 5.4 3 valve. you are most likely going to break at least one on removal. we rarely do them at that mileage without breaking a few.
and use the ford spark plugs, we change them all the time after a customer put in aftermarket plugs and caused all kinds of running issues. the new ford plugs are strengthened as well so they shouldnt break in the future

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy