Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 08-29-2015, 06:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
Quick oil change before winterization question/poll.

So I normally due my winterization in one day. Just knock out Oil and tranny change, along with full winterization in few hours.

Was thinking of doing it little differently this season as time and weather are at premiums. What is everyone's thoughts if I did fluids and still racked up 10-15hrs max on the boat before winterizing fully. I always have been told you want fresh oil in there sitting for layup due to acids and harmful stuff. But having such little hours on its the I'd be ok.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 08-29-2015, 06:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: pontoon
Why not just put the 10-15 more hours on it and then do the oil change and winterize? How many hours now since last oil change?
Old 08-29-2015, 07:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
So I normally due my winterization in one day. Just knock out Oil and tranny change, along with full winterization in few hours.

Was thinking of doing it little differently this season as time and weather are at premiums. What is everyone's thoughts if I did fluids and still racked up 10-15hrs max on the boat before winterizing fully. I always have been told you want fresh oil in there sitting for layup due to acids and harmful stuff. But having such little hours on its the I'd be ok.
Oil is corrosive when it's fresh and even more after use. If you get a decent vacuum oil change pump, you'll save enough time to make doing it at the end worthwhile.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 Prostar 190 LT1/Powerslot
Change oil based off hours I wouldn't bother unless you are almost due for a change anyways.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Change Oil Based On Hours Or Every 3 Months If Used. Which Ever Occurs First. Corrosive On Bearings..
Old 08-29-2015, 08:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I'd say just use the boat until you are done, before it freezes, and do the winterization all in one day, as usual. Or, do the tranny fluid and all other items, and just do the oil change just before lay up. You could even plan on the last day of use, to do the oil drain/change right after, as the engine will be plenty warm...
Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Weird subject for me too, I've never understood changing before winterization... I've always changed every 40-50 hrs or once per year. Actually went through an engine maintained this way with nearly perfect internals.

Also, I've never heard of oil being corrosive?? It's actually a lubricant that protects against corrosion, right? Only oil I've ever heard of being bad was quaker state, and that was way back in the day. A lot of build up from it.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
I Am at the 50hr interval at the moment 57 to be exact. The trans( which requires every 100 is at 112hrs) I know I know way to early to think winterize, but travel hockey for my girls is about to start full swing. Two travel teams are about to make the water time disappear.

I have a vacuum pump so things go quick. Just a debate on racking up closer to 80hrs on the current oil, or changing it twice and redoing it again with only 15 or so hours for the winterization.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 08-29-2015, 09:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
I Am at the 50hr interval at the moment 57 to be exact. The trans( which requires every 100 is at 112hrs) I know I know way to early to think winterize, but travel hockey for my girls is about to start full swing. Two travel teams are about to make the water time disappear.

I have a vacuum pump so things go quick. Just a debate on racking up closer to 80hrs on the current oil, or changing it twice and redoing it again with only 15 or so hours for the winterization.
Cars go more than 3 months/3000 miles all the time and that's a lot more than 50 hours. If you go 80, don't worry about it unless you haven't run it long enough to get it to normal operating temperature for a while. If the oil smells like gas, change it sooner AND at the end of the season. If's worth the time and $35 to not damage the engine, IMO.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 X-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Cars go more than 3 months/3000 miles all the time and that's a lot more than 50 hours. If you go 80, don't worry about it unless you haven't run it long enough to get it to normal operating temperature for a while. If the oil smells like gas, change it sooner AND at the end of the season. If's worth the time and $35 to not damage the engine, IMO.

That is true if you go 3000 Miles in your car it is most likely more than 50 hours. The difference is, at what RPM did you spend most of your 50 hours. At? For most of us it is probably a higher RPM which will break down the Oil quicker. Kind of a fun thing to do is to bring your oil into your local Catapillar dealer and have them tested to see what percent life is left in it. I change mine to 50 hours because it was 80% used up at 40 hours when I checked it.

JVDT