Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
I think I too had 11. 2 in the lower left and 3 in each of the other corners. Thank you so much for this thread, it got me through the entire build with no problems what so ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by f925 View Post
Attachment 94478
Sorry to thread jack, but is this an acceptable ATF for the 71c? I am about to start this project myself. Thanks for the write up! Where in Belgium are you located? I spent several months working in Puurs and living in Antwerp.

I use this ATF in my '95 -- I plan on switching to full synthetic on next change after a bit more research. Found some info on Synth being to slippery but it was anecdotal, but found synth to have better shear and high temp strength.. so if you overheat you may get some precious extra moments of protection - maybe just enough to shut her down...

No reason you can't switch IMO and from what I am ready on none manufacture sights as well as manufacture sites as long as you meet Dexron III requirements at a minimum...but I have not switched to full synth yet...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by f925 View Post
I think I too had 11. 2 in the lower left and 3 in each of the other corners. Thank you so much for this thread, it got me through the entire build with no problems what so ever!

Thanks, just making sure, I didn't loose one.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes
So I am in the process of rebuilding my 71c and getting some of these smaller snap rings off is a pita - I bought the "heavy duty" snap ring pliers and they aren't helping.....any tricks to get these things off? 87 is the trouble maker.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam196370 View Post
So I am in the process of rebuilding my 71c and getting some of these smaller snap rings off is a pita - I bought the "heavy duty" snap ring pliers and they aren't helping.....any tricks to get these things off? 87 is the trouble maker.
Yup, they suck. Swear at them and call them names that are so offensive a crude stand up comedian would shy away from. The woodruff key was my nemesis. I have the HD pliers and most every ring slipped of numerous times. For the rings that sit inside and press outward I found small screwdrivers to be better. The snap ring that goes around the main shaft was indeed a huge PITA.

To get 87 off: if you got pliers with multiple tips find the beefiest tips and put them on. You can run a file over the outside edges a few times to make a flat spot on the tips. The round shape of my plier tips made it more likely to pop off. Try starting by getting one side started. I found both ends would not move equally. So squeeze like crazy and try to tilt the ring so one end is sitting on the shaft out of its groove. Now get a shim under it so that end cannot drop back down. At this point it is just a matter of squeezing the pliers hard enough and working the ring around. A second set of hands may be the key here because it is not hard to make progress and loose it trying to work your way around to the other side. I hope this helps!

Last edited by f925; 05-23-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam196370 View Post
Did you buy "snap ring" pliers or "lock ring" pliers? I tried working with these things with the former and they didnt do a darn thing. Picked up some "lock ring" pliers from pep boys and life was much better.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes
Got em off with a couple of screwdrivers - I need to remember how much it helps to take a break when stuck on something frustrating like this...

Surprised that the rebuild kit didn't come with the springs, soaking parts and waiting for springs to arrive. Painting outside in the meantime.

Thanks for all the help
Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Stars and Stripes 1980
My saftey switch on velvet drive from S&S 1981 giving issues, its the 1:1.51 gear, which part can I use to replace. Will ski dim have it. Also I saw briefly you cleaned the oil filter, is that easy to do when it is still in the boat?

Well done on such a well documented rebuild!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I use this ATF in my '95 -- I plan on switching to full synthetic on next change after a bit more research. Found some info on Synth being to slippery but it was anecdotal, but found synth to have better shear and high temp strength.. so if you overheat you may get some precious extra moments of protection - maybe just enough to shut her down...

No reason you can't switch IMO and from what I am ready on none manufacture sights as well as manufacture sites as long as you meet Dexron III requirements at a minimum...but I have not switched to full synth yet...
Give some of the manufacturers a call and see what they say. PCM will tell you not to use synthetic in their transmissions- too slippery. They tried it and started seeing premature failures (~800 hrs) similar to those seen in motorcycles and dirt bikes (which also use wet clutch set ups). Suggesting to others its ok to use synth because you havent done your research is a bit reckless.

Stick with conventional Dex/Merc or Dex III. Avoid high mileage formulations and synthetic and your tranny will live a long life. If youre overheating your engine badly enough to damage the transmission, youve got other major issues to worry about.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 Ski nautique 2001
Snap ring 78

Hello I'm reassembling my tranny and snap ring 78 isnt fitting int the grove. It pulls out very easly. Is this normal?