Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-07-2016, 05:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 Indmar MCX
2003 X-star - MCX injectors not firing

New to the forum and sorry for only arriving in my hour of need looking for help but will stick around now I have found you.
I have owned my 2003 X-star Indimar MCX for 8 yrs , boat been in regular summer use and done usually running maintenance with no previous problems, approx 250 hrs. However due to daughters medical issue's/operations, boat was laid up for last 2 years .
Tried to start MCX over the weekend , fuel pump primed , boat started but ran rough , and then slowly died after about 5 seconds.
Fuel pump no longer priming and no fuel coming out of injector rail schneider valve . Did the usual google searching on the net and came up with the forum and associated fuel pump problems . Stripped the pump down and once in bits found the pump was fine but was losing power in at the yellow connector to inner fuel pump connection. (would have replaced pump reading all the related issue's but an alternative not so readily available in the UK) Reset pins and clips in connectors and all fine again
So , I now have fuel in the injector rail under pressure, and the engine spins on the starter OK, spark plugs are firing, but none of the injectors are firing fuel into the cylinders.
All 3 engine fuses are ok and 3 relays seem OK. Checked driver isolate pull and that is functioning also.Gauges and engine light working as I remember they should.
From memory boat was running fine before being laid up, was cleaned /flushed and put away for winter as usual.
Any pointers as where/what to look for next and tests that can be performed would be great as now countdown until kids break up for the summer and we head for the beach , hopefully with Mastercraft in tow.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I can't tell but did you drain all the old gas out and replace with all fresh gas?

if you didn't that is the first thing to do get all the old gas out... then you will need to replace the fuel filter... you were already in the tank so it should be no trouble.. make sure to replace the rubber gasket on the sending unit as well with all new bolts and washers.

You refer to the clips in connections are all fine again... did you do something? fix something? possibly bend something?

this is a Throttle Body right? so it acts like an electric carburetor you may have to look at the connecting pins to make sure they are not corroded... especially after sitting so long...

Maybe some pics to help us see what you have going on?
Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 AM
TT Newbie

Fuel is new ( about 1/3 tank) , tank clean and flushed, tank electrical connector stripped , cleaned and female connector parts tightened up to make a better electrical connection . Pump assembly was stripped as I initially thought it was the pump that had gone, but once in piece's found the pump itself worked it was the wire inside the tank from the connector that was causing the pump not to run.
This is an generic internet picture of my engine as I dont have any of mine to hand at work.

I am happy there is fuel now in the injector rail ( silver rails running either side of inlet manifold) and is under pressure but no fuel is getting to cylinders. Had the plugs out and all firing when earthed against manifold, but all also dry on removal and I have had the engine spinning for 30 seconds or so previously, and primed fuel about 5 times, so plenty of fuel in the rails.(If i press the Schneider valve now on the fuel rail after priming the fuel I get a good jet of fuel under pressure which it did'nt prior to pump fix)
Was late last night and did'nt actually get around to checking if the injectors are getting a electric signal , but problem is I don't know what the signal should be anyway. I have a manual for the engine but its 200 miles away from me and the boat at the moment.
It seems strange to me that all 8 injectors would go down at the same time so I am guessing it is something else wrong.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:45 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
check safety lanyard switch.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM
TT Newbie

mikeg205 - Can't remember how the lanyard functions, thought it cut ALL power , not just the injectors , is that not the case ? I have pulled the lanyard off completely and that take all power off.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
you have to short it out.. then you know it is out of the loop if you will
Old 07-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
you have to short it out.. then you know it is out of the loop if you will
just connect the to terminals together - kill lanyard attached switch on - or circuit closed.. remove lanyard clip open switch... a corroded switch and reek havoc with intermittent closed open signals..
Old 07-10-2016, 06:13 AM
TT Newbie

Nah , makes no change, boat cranks but injectors not getting any power.
From reading other forums the injectors should get 12v constantly and the earth is the switch.
I am getting 0-1v at the injectors.
Had all engine harness connectors off and checked for corrosion, but can't find anything.
Now have the manual and that is not much help. Diagnostic tool seems to be the way to go but where these may be readily available in the USA , they are not available in the UK.

Anyone know how I cant fault the injection control or at least find out if it is getting 12v.?
Old 07-10-2016, 09:08 AM

relays seem ok? have you tested them?

I believe your MEFI is version 3 or 4. - trouble code manuals here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfr...%20Manual?dl=0

2003 you can test trouble codes by making your own tester method and a cheap lead.

get a 12 volt LED light and some stiff low gauge wire

steps turn key off

stick positive side of LED goes into terminal hole F - F and negative into E

Turn ignition key on - LED should come on steady

then jump the A & B terminals - be very careful - jumping/shorting wrong terminals could damage ECU.

once you jump A & B the led will flash - you can also use props on volt meter and watch needle/numbers if digital

Code 12 - no issues or codes will repeat in order.

you wrote drivers good - blue/green is the earth connections... red goes back to ignition coil as per my manual which should be 12v.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:29 AM
TT Newbie

Identified the ECU as MEFI4 and done the following checks over the w/e now I have a manual.

Checked engine fuse wiring just to make sure power coming in.
Checked relays for in/out power
Checked ECU is getting power , 12v to pin 19 I think it was , seems OK.
Getting 12v to injectors and had one rail off to check not debris or air lock. Checked injector by jumping with a battery and you can hear it click, so injectors seem to be working with voltage. OK may be blocked but can't see all 8 going down at once . Trapped one of the injector seals when putting fuel rail back on and resultant shower of fuel when pumped up confirms under quite a bit of pressure.

Thanks Mikeg205 - Will get myself an LED and wire this week and give it a go in the diagnostic port when I get home on Friday.