Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-25-2016, 08:47 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: none
Leaking out of drive shaft hull hole

I'm cleaning my parents 88 Prostar. When I fill the bilge area full of water and soap to clean out, the water leaks out shaft hull hole. It is a steady drip down the fiberglass bottom.

Could this be a bad shaft log or fiberglass crack somewhere or both?

Thanks

dwight
Old 04-25-2016, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
Hopefullu it is just the packing. Check that 1st. Maybe you have but it was not mentioned.
I did have a leak in the fiberglass around the fitting that holds the packing in my '86. But mine had been in an accident before I bought it. You could see marks where the prop had hit the bottom of the hull.
It took me a couple of tries to get it to quit. I used 3M 5200. I think the main thing is to get it clean as possible and to get it dry as possible. I put more effort into that (gave it days to dry with fan, in the sun, etc) on the 2nd try and it worked.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM
TT Newbie

Is the packing inside the rubber log?

I guess the smart thing to do is put water just below the shaft nut and log to see if it leaks. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

Last edited by dtrumbower; 04-25-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-25-2016, 12:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
The best description of propshaft packing you'll ever read:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

Before you go looking for cracks, which are pretty unlikely, I'd start here. Put the boat in the water, and look at where the shaft exits the stuffing box nut. If there's water dripping out, tighten the packing to reduce it to 10-20 drops per minute while the shaft is turning, and call it a day. If you can't tighten the nut enough to stop the leak, that's when you'll have to replace the packing.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 AM
TT Newbie

So I filled the bilge to just the bottom of black hose and started to leak right away. So I think I have leak at the fiberglass seam. Probably will try the 5200

https://youtu.be/5qff9O4tEq0
Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrumbower View Post
So I filled the bilge to just the bottom of black hose and started to leak right away. So I think I have leak at the fiberglass seam. Probably will try the 5200

https://youtu.be/5qff9O4tEq0
How is the glass patch around the shaft exit fixture? (I'm not sure if the name of it...)

On my 85, I had to completely remove it, clean it to new condition as well as the hull and buy a fiberglass kit and reattach it.... Mine looked worse than yours though, but it sounds like you have just as bad of a leak. The 5200 should work for you, just make sure it's extremely clean and dry before applying.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:43 AM
TT Newbie

That part seems ok. What really seems bad is the recess area under the steering cable and the opposite corner. It might of been caulked once before but it is gone.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Quote:
That part seems ok. What really seems bad is the recess area under the steering cable and the opposite corner. It might of been caulked once before but it is gone.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Sounds like you need to do what I did then. Shouldn't be any caulk/silicone there. That piece is about 8" x10". You're right, there's probably nothing wrong with it, but the fiberglass it is attached to the hull with is decayed and leaking.

You can buy a fiberglass repair kit at a parts store to fix it. Comes with cloth and resin. Takes a couple hours to do.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 AM
TT Newbie

Since I can't get the Marine Adhesive local, I'll probably do the fiberglass repair.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Since I can't get the Marine Adhesive local, I'll probably do the fiberglass repair.
amazon? Home Depot carries the 5200.