Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-04-2015, 08:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: other
Blown head gasket

A little background... I'm rebuilding my 351W engine this winter because the drain tube broke and drained all the oil out while I was on the lake one day in August. Caught it pretty early and kinda saved the engine so I could use it another 2-3 months to finish the season but an oil analysis told me that internal damage had been done.

So I pulled the engine out of the boat the other day and found milky oil. I looked closely after pulling the heads and found where the gasket had leaked. Thought the path the water chose to get to the cylinder was rather odd.

Do you guys think this blown head gasket could've been caused by running the engine out of oil? Maybe it created a localized hot spot that weakened the head gasket? It's taken a while for water to sneak it's way past the head gasket. 2 of the main bearings has significant wear while the others looked perfectly fine. This cylinder was next to one of those worn bearings.
Attached Images

Last edited by jfw432; 01-04-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added a clearer picture
Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
yes - I would agree with the hot spot.. I would check the cam as well. Sorry to read about the catastrophic result.. it's really a shame when it's a failure not poor maintenance..
Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: other
I did a quick check of the crank and cam. The crank needs to be turned but the cam looks good. The cam bearings look good as well. I quickly checked a few of the cam lobes and they looked spot on for the height but I will check them all prior to reinstalling.