Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-01-2015, 07:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Remove in-line filter near tank?

2001 19Skier with 310 Predator. Boat has two fuel filters...one near fuel pump and another just outside the fuel tank. Probably a dumb question, but how do I remove the filter in the pictures below? Does the fitting closest to the fuel line spin without twisting the line? I want to replace it, but don't want to make matters worse in the process. If someone can tell me which of the fittings to wrench on, I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 PM
MC Master Poster

The larger brass nut does look like it's a coupler, which should turn independently of the rest of the parts.

Put your wrench on the large nut near the 90 degree fitting and another wrench on the narrower nut and turn the narrow one while holding the wide one stationary. Once that comes off, lower the line into a can to catch any gas that might spill out. Then, put one wrench on the nut at the left end of the filter and another on the wide brass nut next to it. Leave all of the other stuff alone, so it isn't disturbed. Once the filter is out, remove the parts from the right side and install them on the new filter- before or after connecting the filter to the left side doesn't really matter. Re-attach the right angle fitting and make sure it's all snug.

That looks like a lot of crap on one line when it could have been done with something else, including a different filter. There are too many points where something could go wrong and cause a leak. I would rather see a coupling block and a compression fitting on each end of the filter.

Good, old Coast Guard! Making manufacturing difficult for over a hundred years.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks, Jim; I'll give that a try. Yes, far more complicated than the one between the fuel pump and the throttle body.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Prostar, are you the original owner? It looks like someone added that filter. I'm not really familiar with the fuel system on your model boat but that looks like compressed gas hose and fittings. The same as one would use for oxy/acetylene torches. I have never seen that style brass fitting used for fuel line. Maybe someone else familiar with your boat will chime in.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyriver View Post
Prostar, are you the original owner? It looks like someone added that filter. I'm not really familiar with the fuel system on your model boat but that looks like compressed gas hose and fittings. The same as one would use for oxy/acetylene torches. I have never seen that style brass fitting used for fuel line. Maybe someone else familiar with your boat will chime in.
The crimped line would be the same as what they came with, assuming it's CG compliant.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyriver View Post
I'm not the original owner, but I don't think it was ever messed with. You have to remove the rear seat back to even get to it. Not sure why there's a second filter, but I don't think the original owner added one.