Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x2 2012 ilmor
The thing with vehicles is that they cant all be perfect. The sad fact is that it is very likely that you will buy a truck that underperforms and falls apart. It's also very possible that you buy three fords after each other and they all fall apart. On the other hand, the opposite is also true: you may never come in contact with a truck that has many problems that it shouldn't. Just because you buy three fords/whatever else and they all fall apart doesnt mean that the brand sucks. You just got unlucky .

As far as all eggs in one basket. Well in 1978 foreign competitors began sale in the US and because they could make smaller and more efficient vehicles, the Big Three focused more on the advancement of their trucks. Now they had to play catch up with the compact cars but their trucks were more advanced. But that is only one of the many reasons that american trucks are the most popular
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
I don't know much about brand quality for any of the Big 3, but I'd assume that for the most part, they're all about the same. I think for me, if considering the purchase of a new vehicle, I'd have to go with which one moves me. I like the body styles of the Ford and Chevy truck, but I think the Dodge is the only one that offers a crew cab and a full size bed in the 1/2 ton. That 5-5 1/2 foot bed on the other two is a deal breaker for me. Just not enough room for hauling. That, and the apparent decision of Dodge to make the 1500 available with a diesel V6...drool!!!
Does anyone know why you can't get a 1/2 ton with crew cab + 6 1/2' bed? What's so special about that combo that it's only available in 3/4 ton or 1 ton?
G
have you looked? you can get a ford 150 with a 6 1/2 foot bed.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Just saw one on the road about minute ago. (I'm waiting for the water department to deliver a meter for one of my rehab jobs) driving through the neighborhood. Had to be a 2012 Silverado. Quad cab and was for sure an 8' bed. .... They do exist!!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, LT1
I've owned both Ford and Chevy. I'm not married to either one . The Chevy was a 3500 dually extended cab, long bed with the converted 454 diesel engine, not very good, I had continuous problems with the injector pump. They since have come out with the duramax which seems to work pretty good. I now own a 2001 F350 Diesel Dually with the crew cab, long bed, 7.3 Diesel (they now have the 6.0?)and we've put over 200,000 miles on it during the 12 years we have owned it. We use our truck primarily to haul horses, the boat and farm equipment. I have replaced the front hubs on both front tires, replaced the pumpkin, had to replace the transmission after 150,000 + miles and I have had trouble keeping it aligned. I figured that's not too bad considering we bought to haul equipment and not as a daily driver. I have not owned a Dodge yet but I would like to one day and see how their diesel's hold up. I think you will find good and bad in any truck you purchase. I've enjoyed following this thread, keep it going.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, LT1
I saw a bumper sticker that read: yes it's my truck, no I will not help you move! By the way the transmission problems began after I lent my truck out, go figure!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelong View Post
The thing with vehicles is that they cant all be perfect. The sad fact is that it is very likely that you will buy a truck that underperforms and falls apart. It's also very possible that you buy three fords after each other and they all fall apart. On the other hand, the opposite is also true: you may never come in contact with a truck that has many problems that it shouldn't. Just because you buy three fords/whatever else and they all fall apart doesnt mean that the brand sucks. You just got unlucky .

As far as all eggs in one basket. Well in 1978 foreign competitors began sale in the US and because they could make smaller and more efficient vehicles, the Big Three focused more on the advancement of their trucks. Now they had to play catch up with the compact cars but their trucks were more advanced. But that is only one of the many reasons that american trucks are the most popular

I think your comments were directed at me? So what your saying is if 3 different contractors each buy a different truck at different dealers, 3-4 months apart yet we all have the IDENTICAL issues over and over again, we are all just "unlucky"? I think a more likely explanation is that Ford has a few issues they need to get figured out on their trucks.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
On the 2013 Ford F150 SuperCrew you can get a 5.5' bed or a 6.5' bed. With the 2013 Chevy 1500 CrewCab you can only get 5.5' bed. The new 2014 Chevy 1500 CrewCab that goes into production over the next couple of weeks you will be able to get the 5.5' or the 6.5' bed.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
My B-I-L is an equipment manager for a large construction company. They buy all Ford trucks and have many of them. From what I hear from him - the 7.4's are great - they have several of them with 400k on them and little to no problems, the 6.0's have been nothing but problems. He drove one of them for a few years and he broke down and got towed enough times to lose track of the number. He now has the 6.4 or whatever the new Ford designed engine is - same fuel system problem - 80k on the truck and they wanted $9000 for fuel system repairs - refused to cover it under warranty. Said he had old fuel contamination, although he fills at work where they buy 12,000 gallons every other week. If you Google it - they have a MAJOR problem with this. He used to drive F150's (in the 90's) and there were no major engine problems, but he had electrical and differential problems on several trucks. Dodge has their transmission problems (friend who has had 3 of them has had 8 trannys between them, although he has 400k on his Cummins - other two gas trucks), but for me, the fact that you can't find a 10 year old Dodge around here without rust perforation is a MAJOR issue. I like Dodge exterior styling and some of their innovation, but their interiors are BLAND and rust perforation is a deal breaker for me. You can fix mechanical things, but a rust fix is temporary or massively expensive.

I have always had good luck with my Chevys - not a work truck - Crew Cab 1500HD as a daily driver and there have been a few issues, but zero warranty work and for 150k miles, acceptable repairs and general maintenance only. I have been looking at new trucks and I have to say that I am really torn. I'm not sure I like the way GM has gone with their styling. I have seriously looked at Ford for the first time. The Eco-Boost V6 is really impressive. I still won't give Dodge a serious look - I'm just not there with them. I will most likely end up with a 3/4-Ton GM or Ford this time (rules out the Eco-Boost) but I don't know what yet. I might have to wait until the 2014's come out and see if anything changes - although a friend who works at Ford told me I need to seriously wait and check out the Ford Atlas (possible F-150 replacement) when it makes it's appearance.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 04-25-2013, 04:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x2 2012 ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
I think your comments were directed at me? So what your saying is if 3 different contractors each buy a different truck at different dealers, 3-4 months apart yet we all have the IDENTICAL issues over and over again, we are all just "unlucky"? I think a more likely explanation is that Ford has a few issues they need to get figured out on their trucks.
No they weren't directed at anybody but it definitely seems like it could be...Sorry haha. I'm also not saying all these issues are only because of luck cuz that is just superstitious bs. What im trying to say is there are trucks that will perform perfectly and some that will perform poorly from the same brand and same model.In situations like yours i agree with you, it sounds like Ford has some issues to work out. I think people write off a whole brand too easily sometimes saying that the brand makes nothing but terrible vehicles because the trucks they bought underperformed or couldnt even perform. I am not saying this is what you are doing at all and my first comment was not directed at you at all.

And I agree with you 100%. If you buy a truck it better be tough and it better be easy to have warranty work done (as easy as it could be anyway). I feel the same way and I'd be upset just like you or your buddies.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:12 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat View Post
My B-I-L is an equipment manager for a large construction company. They buy all Ford trucks and have many of them. From what I hear from him - the 7.4's are great - they have several of them with 400k on them and little to no problems, the 6.0's have been nothing but problems. He drove one of them for a few years and he broke down and got towed enough times to lose track of the number. He now has the 6.4 or whatever the new Ford designed engine is - same fuel system problem - 80k on the truck and they wanted $9000 for fuel system repairs - refused to cover it under warranty. Said he had old fuel contamination, although he fills at work where they buy 12,000 gallons every other week. If you Google it - they have a MAJOR problem with this. He used to drive F150's (in the 90's) and there were no major engine problems, but he had electrical and differential problems on several trucks. Dodge has their transmission problems (friend who has had 3 of them has had 8 trannys between them, although he has 400k on his Cummins - other two gas trucks), but for me, the fact that you can't find a 10 year old Dodge around here without rust perforation is a MAJOR issue. I like Dodge exterior styling and some of their innovation, but their interiors are BLAND and rust perforation is a deal breaker for me. You can fix mechanical things, but a rust fix is temporary or massively expensive.

I have always had good luck with my Chevys - not a work truck - Crew Cab 1500HD as a daily driver and there have been a few issues, but zero warranty work and for 150k miles, acceptable repairs and general maintenance only. I have been looking at new trucks and I have to say that I am really torn. I'm not sure I like the way GM has gone with their styling. I have seriously looked at Ford for the first time. The Eco-Boost V6 is really impressive. I still won't give Dodge a serious look - I'm just not there with them. I will most likely end up with a 3/4-Ton GM or Ford this time (rules out the Eco-Boost) but I don't know what yet. I might have to wait until the 2014's come out and see if anything changes - although a friend who works at Ford told me I need to seriously wait and check out the Ford Atlas (possible F-150 replacement) when it makes it's appearance.
I saw a Dodge the other day, couldn't be more than about 5 years old, and already had rust around the wheel well at the bed of the truck, unbelievable.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul