Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Congratulations.

You can be sure you got more out of school than if you had finished when you were 22yrs. old.

Now that you have graduated, you can put the knowledge to good use.

What work do you plan to do ?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Way to go bro! That's awesome as well as inspiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
So years ago I never finished school due to getting a decent job offer, 1st child, etc. Just got my cap/gown in the mail at age 30 with a double major and dual minors. Kind of a delayed win, but was 10x harder with 2 kids, a full time job, an ex wife, a new g/f, 2 dogs, and of course........a mastercraft.

Just thought I'd share and give some of those who didn't finish or never went to school a boost to get out there and kick some butt. Evidently a dog is never too old to learn new tricks.

And as always........Go pirates
Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
Very nice! My wife is working on her Masters now and I have seen how much work it is for her as she has to wait for the kids to go down before any school work is started bc I am out of town most weeks and unable to help her. Just curious. What and why two majors and minors? Did you get so far into one and decide to change but finish out the other? That is how I ended up with a major and minor. Again, good job! That is worth bragging about.
yea it pretty much sucked. I was a single dad for most of it while my ex was "getting her life together". Started back when my oldest was 4 and my youngest was 2 so it was def an experience. I started so long ago that I changed my major a few times. I was actually very close to graduating when I left school (very close) but couldn't complete it online so went to distance ed. Pursued another direction and after all the dust settled years later realized we could take this mass amount of hours and make alot of something out of it.

Quote:
Good, now that you're done with all that school BS, you can come and do my stereo for me and all the wiring for the additional battery.

Signed, Your boats twin(bigger) brother!
Drag it to raleigh and I'll do it for beer. Your boat may be bigger but my stereo and battery banks are 3x the size and we all know its not the size of the boat......its the motion in the ocean.

Quote:
Now that you have graduated, you can put the knowledge to good use.

What work do you plan to do ?
I actually have no intent to use any of it haha. I was working in construction to pay for school early on, got a decent job, and have been in lead roles for a few years. Work for one of the worlds largest specialty contractors now. Manufacturing systems and industrial technology supervision add a lil zing to the resume but really have just given me obscure knowledge outside of what I'm doing. I did it more for my kids than I did myself since no one in my direct family has ever gone the traditional 4 year college route. Figure I can teach them there's an easy and a hard way to do everything from experience.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Congrats on a great accomplishment! Here's to non- traditional students

Did something similar.. I went to college after high school and was not focused at all (on school at least) so I joined the Army. After 7 years or so I got out and the best job I could find was a manager in a chicken processing plant working the night shift. This was the motivation I needed to go back to school. I was married with a 2 year old when I quit to go back to back.. majored in Business and later switched to Mechanical Engineering (with only 30 hours left from graduating, yeah I graduated with a whole bunch of hours). We had another daughter along the way. When I finished the wife went back to school and later on to go onto law school, which is something I wouldn't wish on anyone... and we preach to our kids about the "easy" way.. early on when Mom & Dad are paying
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Congrats!! I did grad school with a very demanding job with travel, wife and kids and it was a biatch!! It takes so much drive and dedication to bring it across the finish line and you should be so proud of this. Have drink now.

Be prepared for a nightmares every now and then about not studying for an exam or forgetting to hand in a report. Funny when you wake up.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
quote: "I actually have no intent to use any of it haha. I was working in construction to pay for school early on, got a decent job, and have been in lead roles for a few years. Work for one of the worlds largest specialty contractors now. Manufacturing systems and industrial technology supervision add a lil zing to the resume but really have just given me obscure knowledge outside of what I'm doing. I did it more for my kids than I did myself since no one in my direct family has ever gone the traditional 4 year college route. Figure I can teach them there's an easy and a hard way to do everything from experience"

sorry, but whether you intend to or not, you will be using what you have learned everyday.

people like you eventually start their own business. it is who you are.

Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
^2
You will use it everyday and your kids will use it their whole lives. Make sure they understand the priority. I understand that you have a good job today but unfortunatly in our times things happen. I have been layed off twice and can honestly say that every job that I would have considered required a college degree.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Congrats and hold your head up high!!! It's a major accomplishment in your life so take time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Kick back, put your feet up, ease back and just enjoy it!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 02 ProStar 197TT "Caddy H2O" & 1980 MC Stars & Stripes, "Boss Hoss"
Congrats! That is a huge accomplishment that no one can ever take away from you!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
I got mine at 39! Lol

congrats!