Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
How far does an 84 power4slot trans need to move back to clear ring gear?

I've got what I'm almost sure is a front seal leak. trans is dry everywhere, cooler is dry, and yet I have significant amount of red fluid in the bilge after a two hour run. I know space is tight because it is a powerslot and has the gear reduction unit. My concern is, when I installed that new shaft (boat was in an accident prior to my ownership and they wrecked the shaft), we had to lift the engine/trans in order to get enough clearance to clear and install the flange onto the front of the shaft. I don't have the lift here, so if one is needed in order to get the trans out I'm going to have to acquire one. I'd like to know if I'm going to need one before I start hehe.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Ok, since no response on the last one I now have more information. I measured the shaft between the flange and the packing gland. That distance is 1 and 9/16th inches. I can slide the shaft back that far. Is that enough, or am I going to have to lift the engine/trans, get the flange out, and then remove the trans? It's now leaking enough that it's annoying. Not hazardous to the trans, since I check it religiously, but annoying.