Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
2004 TA Trailer has 1 wheel overheating

Leaving the ramp today noticed burning oil smell. Got out and looked I see oild dripping onto the backside of the wheel and brake disc, and its sizzling only a short ways to the storage unit so limped it there slowly.

Parked it and noticed oil level in hub bath is down by half and milky looking. Tell tale sign of water in the hub.

I have only had the boat and trailer a month or so, Not sure how it at works.

Obviously some seal is not holding the water out, but is this the root cause or did i have a stuck brake pad. It did not feel sluggish on the pull...just the sizzling and the smell...since oil hitting the disc was sizzling I am guessing I may want to pull those off and have a look at them.

How likely is it that I have more than one problem?

Is it common for the oil bath hubs to blow a seal and get hot???

How likely is it that the seal is the start of the issues?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
You most likely have Reliable calipers which have a known issue for hanging. I'm thinking that this may have caused the heat issue and seal problem. There was a recall on them some time ago that has most likely expired by now. Reliable is now out of business so you'll need to replace all four calipers most likely on your own. The replacements sent to me from Reliable were Kodiac. I'm sure others would work but these were direct replacements that worked with the existing brackets and rotors.

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/

I say replace all four as if one is hanging now the others are most likely soon to follow and overheating a rotor will lead to bearing failure. Better to get them all now before the repairs start adding up.

It's also possible that you have the plastic cap version of the outer seal, the cap cracked or seal failed for whatever reason, the oil ran out and then the bearing heated up from no lubrication.

Either way I' be looking real close at those calipers with their track record.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
^^ All true! Replace all 4 calipers, pads and get the aluminum bearing caps....replace the plastic ones if you have them.

I did this to my 2003 trailer and my 2005 trailer.....no problems since.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Got to look at it today after work. Tore it down to the spindle. Oil was milky and very low. Looked at caliper it is the Reliable brand one. No money in budget to replace all 4 right now. Will think about it in the future.

The caliper came off relatively easy it was hard to turn the rotor with the caliper, actually I could not budge it at all. But the calier slipped off once the bolts were off, so it was not clamped down hard and opening the bleeder did produce a spurt...so no pressure on brakes. it would seem.

Going to replace the bearings and seal.

I still have one question:

Are the bearing cups supposed to come out of the hub. I did not want to go beating on them in the hub until I knew for sure?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Yes the races (cup) will come out, the new bearings and races are sold together.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFuss View Post
Got to look at it today after work. Tore it down to the spindle. Oil was milky and very low. Looked at caliper it is the Reliable brand one. No money in budget to replace all 4 right now. Will think about it in the future.

The caliper came off relatively easy it was hard to turn the rotor with the caliper, actually I could not budge it at all. But the calier slipped off once the bolts were off, so it was not clamped down hard and opening the bleeder did produce a spurt...so no pressure on brakes. it would seem.

Going to replace the bearings and seal.

I still have one question:

Are the bearing cups supposed to come out of the hub. I did not want to go beating on them in the hub until I knew for sure?
Yes, beat on them. Watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6k2T79nHXgw
Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Which Kodiak calipers do I buy?

Do I need different mounting brackets?

Tags
oil bath, trailer, trailer brake