Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Eagle River, AK!
Posts: 3,837
Can't say enough about Kumho 857s. Don't have them on the boat yet but will next go around. Only 14"D rated tire out there.
Put a set on my sled trailer several years ago. Probably got 10-15 k mi on them now. No issues. Last trip was 2400 mi from WA toAK a week ago. Trailer was overloaded. Tires wore all the way thru the plywood floor from bouncing over about 1000 mi of frost heaved roads. Trip was either max possible speed on bad roads or haulin about 80mph.
No way those tires should have held up but they are none the worse for the wear
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 AM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Kumhos (trailer) are typically an item for specialty carriers like Tire Rack. Auto tire dealers around town do not carry them nor are they available to them. I don't know why. I ordered the Kumhos and then had the local Kumho dealer to mount.

205 x 14 on the standard MC supplied trailer...plenty of room under the fender for the 205.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Radial+857 Made in either Viet Nam or China....

I feel confident that the Maxxis is as good of a tire.. I mean, how good or bad can they be, comparatively...??? I never had any issues with the GY Marathon, but have seen too many other incidents, so I went Kumho... However I trailer very short distances to the ramp....

.
There is nothing magical about getting Kumho tires. Many dealers won't stock them as they are expensive and not every customer's choice. the occasional tire shop has just one tire supplier but most have several options. Sometimes it just comes down to the tire shop guy not wanting to make an effort.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
There is nothing magical about getting Kumho tires. Many dealers won't stock them as they are expensive and not every customer's choice. the occasional tire shop has just one tire supplier but most have several options. Sometimes it just comes down to the tire shop guy not wanting to make an effort.
My experience:
Cloaked: "Hello, Kumho dealer (KD), can you get me these 857s?"

KD: No we do not have access to those tires. Anything auto we can get, but trailer tires are not available to us."

Cloaked:" Why not?"

KD: " We can't order them and they have never been available to our wholesale buyers."

Cloaked: "OK, thanks."

$0.02

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:53 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
My experience:
Cloaked: "Hello, Kumho dealer (KD), can you get me these 857s?"

KD: No we do not have access to those tires. Anything auto we can get, but trailer tires are not available to us."

Cloaked:" Why not?"

KD: " We can't order them and they have never been available to our wholesale buyers."

Cloaked: "OK, thanks."

$0.02

.
That's where that lack of effort comes in.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Rossterman's Avatar
Rossterman Rossterman is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Location: Westcoast
Posts: 698
Posted in another post about 14" d rate Goodyear hmg u-haul tire that some on other forums are using. Not radial but much heavier construction than standard marathon so likely not the same quality issues (u-haul probably had them overbuilt so as not to suffer typical marathon problems). Price is cheap ($99) but aren't radials and aren't rated above 65mph. Looks to be made in canada. Looks like a good tire for the money but wanted to hear from actual users before deciding between these and Khumo's.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Posted in another post about 14" d rate Goodyear hmg u-haul tire that some on other forums are using. Not radial but much heavier construction than standard marathon so likely not the same quality issues (u-haul probably had them overbuilt so as not to suffer typical marathon problems). Price is cheap ($99) but aren't radials and aren't rated above 65mph. Looks to be made in canada. Looks like a good tire for the money but wanted to hear from actual users before deciding between these and Khumo's.
That is over-priced for a bias ply tire. Plenty of other good trailer tires out there in that price range.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 AM
onewheat's Avatar
onewheat onewheat is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Location: BG, KY
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat View Post
What size tire is should be on an '07 tandem - 205/75-14 (trailer is 200 miles away)? I can't remember and need a set too. I need to see who has what in stock that will fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawler34 View Post
The marathons that come on the trailer are 215/75R14. However I you are looking at the Khumo's they only come in 205, which I have not seen anyone have a problem with because they are load range d.
A tandem comes with 215's? Positively? I have been calling around and everyone has 205's in stock, but no 215's. The one guy told me he couldn't even order 215's except in a bias-ply D range. I need to make sure that when I drive 200+ miles to get there, someone has tires in stock that will fit the trailer.
__________________
onewheat

2013 X-25
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat View Post
A tandem comes with 215's? Positively? I have been calling around and everyone has 205's in stock, but no 215's. The one guy told me he couldn't even order 215's except in a bias-ply D range. I need to make sure that when I drive 200+ miles to get there, someone has tires in stock that will fit the trailer.
Tandems normally come with ST205/75R14 however many trailers have room for the 215's. My last inventory statement said 114 in stock. You might be calling the wrong places.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM
SP Maristar's Avatar
SP Maristar SP Maristar is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 268
I just replaced my stock Marathons on our tandem. They were ST215/75R14. I stuck with this size and they were readily available.
__________________
1998 MariStar 200 VRS, LT1, PowerSlot
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM
onewheat's Avatar
onewheat onewheat is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Location: BG, KY
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Maristar View Post
I just replaced my stock Marathons on our tandem. They were ST215/75R14. I stuck with this size and they were readily available.
Thanks - I was pretty sure that is what was on the trailer. There aren't a lot of options where the boat is. Wal-Mart told me they can't get 215's in a 14". There are a couple of other places nearby, but have only offered up off-brand tires. I'm not a fan (based on nothing other than my own paranoia about a name I don't know). I'm still trying to get a couple of other places to answer the phone.
__________________
onewheat

2013 X-25
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.