Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 05:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 197TT 6.0 Cadillac YQ-9
Thanks for all the advice. It's pretty aired out here now. Sun came out today. Cold, but dry. Tomorrow we'll drain tranny fluid and check her out.

MIskier- Grand Rapids. Keep her at the folks' place on Bella Vista in Rockford. You?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdhntr View Post
Thanks for all the advice. It's pretty aired out here now. Sun came out today. Cold, but dry. Tomorrow we'll drain tranny fluid and check her out.

MIskier- Grand Rapids. Keep her at the folks' place on Bella Vista in Rockford. You?
Grew up in Ionia, and spend the summers on a small lake near Clare called Little Field Lake.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
Changing the fluid just once wont help you if there is water in it. You'll end up doing two or three flushes to be sure there is no water left in the trans fluid...once you run the boat recheck to make sure the fluid is not a milky color.
I never said one fluid change would be enough, I said suck it out and check for water. Being submerged, water would likely pond in the bottom, thus observe in a container for water droplets separate from the fluid. If none is detected I would then run the trans for 10 min and recheck, then again after an hour, looking for milky/foam.

I don't know the best way to remove all the water but I don't think running the motor/trans would be wise at first. The trans internals and cooler hold more fluid than the 2 pts in the reservoir and are likely not contaminated. Running the motor will pickup the water that is in the case and circulate it though out the entire trans, so quick fill and drains would be better but I don't know if that alone would pull water back into solution.

I think IF I found water in my inspection, I would be calling an authorized tech or BW for their input instead of listening to keyboard jockeys with my $$$ transmission on the line.
Assuming OP was just having nubbie stresses and all is fine since we have not heard any conclusion.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
I never said one fluid change would be enough, I said suck it out and check for water. Being submerged, water would likely pond in the bottom, thus observe in a container for water droplets separate from the fluid. If none is detected I would then run the trans for 10 min and recheck, then again after an hour, looking for milky/foam.

I don't know the best way to remove all the water but I don't think running the motor/trans would be wise at first. The trans internals and cooler hold more fluid than the 2 pts in the reservoir and are likely not contaminated. Running the motor will pickup the water that is in the case and circulate it though out the entire trans, so quick fill and drains would be better but I don't know if that alone would pull water back into solution.

I think IF I found water in my inspection, I would be calling an authorized tech or BW for their input instead of listening to keyboard jockeys with my $$$ transmission on the line.
Assuming OP was just having nubbie stresses and all is fine since we have not heard any conclusion.
Explecitley saying what you mean is probably a good thing to do when giving someone advice dont you think? The procedure is flush, refill, flush, refill, flush, refill and run not run see if it turns milky on the first outing...that would be silly to do indeed. That flush procedure is exactly what any certified mechanic is going to do when a boat is brought to them with possible water contamination of the fluids.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 PM
TT Regular

The transmission on our 2007 X2 got water in it when a raw water pump hose blew and pumped a lot of water into the bilge. We were told that the hot transmission could pull in water through the seals as it cooled. The transmission was running motor oil at the time and it looked like a chocolate milk shake. We were told by our dealer to pump out the contaminated oil, and refill with ATF. Then pump that out and refill with ATF. Then pump that out and refill with ATF. After the third refill there will still be some residual water but when the transmission is run up to temp the remaining water will evaporate out. After running the boat for awhile there was no sign of water in the trans(ATF was not cloudy at all) and no noticeable effects from the water.

David Sword
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

I checked it before changing and it was clean (no water detected). When I opened the fill cap, it actually hissed as it was under pressure. Felt that was a good sign. It's running fine and no issues.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, 350
I did not read whole thing but I don't imagine you will have a problem, I know my brother I'm laws boat has had more water in it then that on at least 2 occasions (prostar 205) and he never did anything but pump the water out and never had a problem.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC x30 2002, LQ 9
I feel your pain

I'm sorry to hear this but perhaps I can help. Exactly a year ago I uncovered my X-30 after 3 years of storage outside. I had been injured and a long recovery had kept me from doing much of anything. I apparently had been in a hurry the last time I put up the boat and left the plugs in. Don't forget I said 3 years!! I uncovered the boat to find 3 feet of black swamp water and a boat full of black mold! My beautiful white interior was non existent! I managed somehow to wade into the boat and after several minutes pulled the plugs. It took over an hour just to drain. I can tell you I was physically wiped out at this point from what I saw. I had always maintained this boat to the 9's and believed all would be a little dirty as it had been in prior years.

In any event I started at removing everything from the boat, then removed all the interior. I scrubbed with every product known to man and nothing really took out the black mold and mildew. I laid all the interior out in my driveway and after 3-4 weeks the sun killed off all the mold and mildew. I had the carpet completely steam cleaned 3-4 times and it came out looking great. I was somewhat lucky to find that the water had stopped just below the air intake of the motor. Another inch and I would have had major damage!! I ended up replacing (2) batteries, the starter, the alternator, serpentine belt, and all pulleys, the perfect pass unit, and several relay's. I changed motor oil and filter 3 times and flushed the transmission 3 - 4 times as well. All in all it took several weeks of work and about $700. I did finally get it back together and the boat ran like a top.

Unfortunately, after 45 minutes on the lake I hit a large rock and destroyed the bottom of the boat and all under water drive gear!!! $10,000 worth of damage!!!!!
Im actually pulling the motor and was on the forum looking for tips and saw your post.

You'll be fine just be thorough and don't rush. Sunlight will take care of most of the mildew if you even have any.

All my best, Bobby T
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice BobbyT. As I last posted, its fine. Have run it several times. It only had the water in it a day or so. Pulled the cover, seats, all hatches, etc and aired it out in the sun. Drained once and replaced since it was still pressurized when I first opened trans seal. It's like nothin happened to it. Looks, runs and sounds like a street racer.