Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Pickle Fork Bow vs Conventional

I am sure there has been a thread on this already, but here goes anyhow. Just curious how many of you either like, or dislike the picklefork design. MasterCraft has "revolutionized" the ski/wake boat design vs the traditional V shaped bow, that now seems like every other manufacturer has copied. I am shopping for a new boat, and personally like the pickelfork look, kind of cool. My wife, on the other hand, told me last night, "You better not get a stupid picklefork boat!" Also curious if the p.f. design allows for more room, has any distinct advantages over conventional, or is primarily just aesthetic. Probably gonna have to stick with the 205V/X1/early X2...........or go boating by myself
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45, 2005
Personally I like the "Pickle Fork" bow vs traditional for the looks and additional space afforded to those that like the bow of the boat to ride around and relax in. My wife likes the extra space to stretch out in. It also allows more people to sit up front comfortably. I think your wife would quickly appreciate the benefits to it. However, you have to be careful and learn to drive it properly so you don't take water over the bow accidentally (no I've never done that, yea right!). That's my 2 cents. I'm sure there are proponents both for and against and it all boils down to personal preference.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Pickle Fork

I like the Pickle Fork due to the extra size in the front of the boat!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-Star, Red and Black, L18
pickle-fork all the way for me. lots more room up front and no down-side other than taking rollers over the front which we do regularly if we lose focus. i have seen "v" bows take water over the front too though.

"Tropic corridor, tropic treasure. What got us this far to this mild equator? We need someone, something new....something else to get us through" (James Douglas Morrison/The Doors)
Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Not going to have a choice in the next 10 years - all the manufactures have gone to that design. MC is one of the few that are actually still putting out pointy bowed boats (IMO the x10 needed a pickle... Bow is so small in that boat)

Have a friend take you out on their x2, star or 45 while the bimini is up. Watch her migrate to the bow and enjoy the sun... Problem solved.

Plus you really can't beat the look of an 03-11 star on the water
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
"Revolutionized" is a nice way of putting it...35 years later:
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2013, 06:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Happy wife=Happy life. Just sayin
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
You are likely to get replies directly along the lines of the boat the person replying owns. They both have there pros and cons.

The size boat you are looking for and the number of people that mostly go out with you also make a difference as to what works best for you.

We typically have 6-8 people on the boat. Several of those may be kid (and no doubt there favorite place is the platform). Adults are usually hanging out in the back comfy seats (closer to the cooler I might add). Some people like to sit up front while we are cruising, but most prefer the back for comfort and talking.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
russlars - AMEN!!! As soon as the little woman sat up there we started writing the check and the X9 went up for sale... Pickle fork provides loads of extra room compared to traditional bow styling.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
Hit send a little quick. 😝😝😝

Anyway we have an '08 x30 and can have three people in the front comfortably. We also prefer the look and styling of the traditional bow.

Agree with previous comments that the new x10 bow seems small, but it is also 2ft smaller than the x30.

Maybe consider # people and size of boat and aesthetic look and you will find a good fit.

Short answer is you can't go too wrong either way.