Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM
SKI*MC's Avatar
SKI*MC SKI*MC is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 1,980
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
83 S&S Steering issue of my own...

Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread pertaining to an 83 steering issue... but I also have an issue. Almost positive my steering cable is shot. I checked ski-dim, and I have a few questions. What type of steering cable do I need? I assume its rotary, I just don't know the brand I need. Also what length? I was told (by my dad) that that it's a 14 foot cable. Can anyone help me out here? Much appreciated!
__________________
You don't have to buy a lake to own it~MasterCraft
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI*MC View Post
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread pertaining to an 83 steering issue... but I also have an issue. Almost positive my steering cable is shot. I checked ski-dim, and I have a few questions. What type of steering cable do I need? I assume its rotary, I just don't know the brand I need. Also what length? I was told (by my dad) that that it's a 14 foot cable. Can anyone help me out here? Much appreciated!
Teleflex single rotary. Best I recall, it's a 17 foot cable. Look up under the dash and on the steering cable sheathing, you'll see the length stamped on there.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC6117

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
SKI*MC's Avatar
SKI*MC SKI*MC is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 1,980
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Teleflex single rotary. Best I recall, it's a 17 foot cable. Look up under the dash and on the steering cable sheathing, you'll see the length stamped on there.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC6117

.
I always thought I remembered reading in here that it was a 17' cable too. I sent an email to ski-dim too so hopefully they have some input as well. This cable will work with my stock steering unit?
__________________
You don't have to buy a lake to own it~MasterCraft
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI*MC View Post
I always thought I remembered reading in here that it was a 17' cable too. I sent an email to ski-dim too so hopefully they have some input as well. This cable will work with my stock steering unit?
Yes. The new cables have a quick-connect adapter but it will work. I have one ready to go on my 93 model, same identical application. Skidim will hook you up. Good people to deal with. I endorse them exclusively for all of my professional work.....

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.

Last edited by Cloaked; 04-21-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
SKI*MC's Avatar
SKI*MC SKI*MC is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 1,980
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Yes. The new cables have a quick-connect adapter but it will work. I have one ready to go on my 93 model, same identical application. Skidim will hook you up. Good people to deal with. I endorse them exclusively for all of my professional work.....

.
So I just got an email back from Richard at ski-dim. He said I need a 14' cable... He also said that MC was switching from the teleflex rotary to the steermaster in 83. I was also told that the UFLEX rotary kit is a replacement for the Steermaster. I was just looking to replace the cable... sooo i'm a little confused as to what I truely need.
__________________
You don't have to buy a lake to own it~MasterCraft
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI*MC View Post
So I just got an email back from Richard at ski-dim. He said I need a 14' cable... He also said that MC was switching from the teleflex rotary to the steermaster in 83. I was also told that the UFLEX rotary kit is a replacement for the Steermaster. I was just looking to replace the cable... sooo i'm a little confused as to what I truely need.
I'd trust Richard's information. My recollection was from several years ago and I just bought a 17' for my 93, so good that Richard confirmed for your 83. Those guys know the ropes as part of their business. For my 93 they (Skidim) sent me the 17' Teleflex....

I think the Teleflex cable (only) is the way to go, just as was the case for my 93. Call Skidim tomorrow and get someone on the phone for confirmation. They are great to work with even over the phone.

.

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is online now
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,661
The cable length was stamped into the cable at the rudder end on my boat.
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM
SKI*MC's Avatar
SKI*MC SKI*MC is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 1,980
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
I'd trust Richard's information. My recollection was from several years ago and I just bought a 17' for my 93, so good that Richard confirmed for your 83. Those guys know the ropes as part of their business. For my 93 they (Skidim) sent me the 17' Teleflex....

I think the Teleflex cable (only) is the way to go, just as was the case for my 93. Call Skidim tomorrow and get someone on the phone for confirmation. They are great to work with even over the phone.

.

.
Did you only need the cable because your steering unit was "new" enough? I'm not sure is 83 and 93 used the same steering units....
__________________
You don't have to buy a lake to own it~MasterCraft
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI*MC View Post
Did you only need the cable because your steering unit was "new" enough? I'm not sure is 83 and 93 used the same steering units....
For mine, yes. Cable only.

I have had 82 - 85 in recent years and I recall them being the same. Crawl up under the dash and look, but honestly, Skidim knows these boats as well as anyone. Richard is on the mark 99% of the time from my dealings with them.

Also pull the rear center section of the floor and look at the cable from that end. The floor has to come out if you're replacing the cable....

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 PM
SKI*MC's Avatar
SKI*MC SKI*MC is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 1,980
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
For mine, yes. Cable only.

I have had 82 - 85 in recent years and I recall them being the same. Crawl up under the dash and look, but honestly, Skidim knows these boats as well as anyone. Richard is on the mark 99% of the time from my dealings with them.

Also pull the rear center section of the floor and look at the cable from that end. The floor has to come out if you're replacing the cable....

.
from what I know, my boat has a 14' MKIII steermaster cable. Do you know if this is the same cable you had? Sorry about all the questions, I just hate ordering the wrong stuff
__________________
You don't have to buy a lake to own it~MasterCraft
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.