Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
repacking beariings -- guidance on bearing wear needed

Still catching up on maintenance left from the po. The bearing was adjusted correctly and had no unusual noises before I pulled it apart. I have worked on this type of bearing setup before, but it's been about 20 years hehe, and I don't remember much. I do have evidence of water intrusion in the grease (dunno how long it has been in there -- longer than I've had it anyways). There is no evidence of corrosion on any of the bearing surfaces. I knocked the old seal out, got both inner and outer bearings nice and clean, cleaned up the races and the axle. Now I don't know what to look for on the bearings themselves for wear. The races look fine -- no discoloration anywhere, same with the axle. The bearings are somewhat "loose" in that I can move the cage that holds the rollers up and down somewhat relative to the inner part of the bearing. I don't see anything unusual on any of the rollers -- they look the same all the way around top to bottom.

This is a VM single-axle trailer, no trailer brakes, with a bearing buddy axle. In case that helps. Also, how do I go about ordering a seal? Do I reference the part number on the hub (Unique Functional products H-1377)? Is that enough for a trailer parts store?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Maybe you can figure out the seal by matching up to the part numbers of the bearing cups and cones listed in the chart on page 2 of http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Bearings&Seals.PDF

If you can't determine it from that then maybe contact UFP. See their contact info at http://www.ufpnet.com/ContactUs/tabid/60/Default.aspx.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 AM
MC Devotee

From http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheelbearingpack.aspx (see picture at this page).

The easiest way to find a replacement is to find the numbers stamped in the rubber part of the seal.

But often times the number is not there or too hard to read.

If it were me and I did not know about the age or prior maintenance of the bearings, I would most likely just replace them as it is not that much money for a whole new set of cups/cones/seals. However what you described did not sound bad to me. Note that the URL above also has information about inspecting the bearings and etc.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i'd change them all out. my mc trailer has the oil bath, but all my other trailers have the grease packed hubs. i've found that you can usually order a kit from a place like e-trailer or one of the other online places. the kits are usually pretty cheap and its nice to know you are riding on fresh hubs. over the years i've collected a few specific tools that haven't cost me a ton of money but have let me do probably a dozen or so hubs on cars and trailers. one of the most useful tools is a brass drift to beat out the races and seals. a seal puller helps. i also picked up a 12 ton press from harbor freight along with a race press kit which is basically a set of soft brass cones to help press in the races. i've probably got less than $200 invested in this set up and it has easily paid for itself after just a few press jobs. i also bought one of those cheap autozone bearing greasers that hooks up to your grease gun. much easier than the old fashioned way of using your palm to push the grease through. good luck.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well I had the trailer store guy look at them while I was getting the seals. He thinks they're fine as well. So at least for that side of the trailer I am good to go. I'll put that side back together then do the other side.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Well I had the trailer store guy look at them while I was getting the seals. He thinks they're fine as well. So at least for that side of the trailer I am good to go. I'll put that side back together then do the other side.
So you figured out the size of the seals?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well sorta! I brought it into my local specialty trailer store, handed it to the guy, and he was back in a jiffy with a match! It's nice to live in a city where at least some people know what they are doing!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Well sorta! I brought it into my local specialty trailer store, handed it to the guy, and he was back in a jiffy with a match! It's nice to live in a city where at least some people know what they are doing!
Good parts guys are almost a thing of the past.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Good parts guys are almost a thing of the past.
Yeah, and when you find one it makes your day! And I got to drive the strip coming back. I haven't been there in I don't know how long. You know it's been awhile when you're looking up and saying "wow, when did they build that?!" I'm local so I never go down there lol.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Yeah, and when you find one it makes your day! And I got to drive the strip coming back. I haven't been there in I don't know how long. You know it's been awhile when you're looking up and saying "wow, when did they build that?!" I'm local so I never go down there lol.
My son live there but he normally comes here to visit and get his fix behind out boat. The strip is an amazing place. Is there any place other than Mead to hit the water out there?

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com