Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Master Craft Fishing Boat

Thinking of selling my row boat. powder coated aluminum row boat, 12 ft long. Holds 3 people nicely. Comes with a trailer, which tows great, but looks rough.

Motor is a 1955 Johnson sea horse, which i totally restored myself. I was a professional certified mechanic at a Nautique dealer for years, so it's been done right. I ran it last night, and it runs like a top. No lean pop or anything. I cannot over emphasize how perfect this motor runs. Pretty quiet for a 2-stroke too. Stars first pull.

Also comes with an early 50's Johnson mile master pressurized fuel cell, also totally restored.

PM me if you have any interest or questions about the boat.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 02 ProStar 197TT "Caddy H2O" & 1980 MC Stars & Stripes, "Boss Hoss"
Sweet little ride! You obviously spent a lot of time and $$$ on the project. What do you want for it?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejdgreen View Post
Sweet little ride! You obviously spent a lot of time and $$$ on the project. What do you want for it?
Thank you sir!

More time than money. The motor and fuel cell were definitely a labor of love. I do at least one outboard and gas tank per year.

I'm not even sure what i'm asking. After taking it out last night, i loathe the idea of selling it, but i suppose the answer is i PM me reasonable offers....
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: None as of yet
That motor and gas tank look incredible! I bought my grandpas old motor and gas tank at his estate sale and i am wanting to restore it. Do you have any write up's or tips on how to tackle that job?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTWon View Post
That motor and gas tank look incredible! I bought my grandpas old motor and gas tank at his estate sale and i am wanting to restore it. Do you have any write up's or tips on how to tackle that job?
Does it run? start there for sure. Parts and all that can get to be expensive and hard to find for certain motors. You can get one of these things for free and still pay too much.

after she runs, I take it down to the smallest amount of parts possible, leaving the cylinders/heads etc together. I media blast everything down to bare metal (a decent media blaster is pretty cheap to get going), even out the metal as best i can with hammers, and body fill engine cover as needed. prime, paint, decals, clear coat.

That's a simplified version, and these can be quite intricate to get them to look perfect. The worst part is, if you're going to run it instead of display it, they get all banged up again pretty fast. Even if you're careful... that's just the way it is I guess.

Keep in mind that if you want it to look factory, rarely did these guys paint things a piece at a time in the old days. if you look at the untouched motors, all the screw heads, etc, are usually painted right over, which makes masking a little easier.

Following is a link to a great place to get decals, etc... There are a bunch of parts on ebay, as well as some other web sites, and most of the places you call have a wealth of information, and are willing to help you out.

http://www.americanoutboard.com

If you have specific concerns, feel free to PM me. What's the make and model of the motor?

I've attached a pic of a 59 evinrude 18hp Fast twin I restored for my dad for Christmas a few years ago.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: None as of yet
Thanks for the quick reply! The motor runs perfect. I was actually shocked it fired up after sitting for a few years. Its 5.5 Johnson like the one you have on the mastercraft fishing boat, however it is green instead of red. I do not have the exact model number on hand as its sitting at the lake house. The condition is in fairly good shape however the paint is showing age. I thought i would use it this summer and restore it over winter.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTWon View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! The motor runs perfect. I was actually shocked it fired up after sitting for a few years. Its 5.5 Johnson like the one you have on the mastercraft fishing boat, however it is green instead of red. I do not have the exact model number on hand as its sitting at the lake house. The condition is in fairly good shape however the paint is showing age. I thought i would use it this summer and restore it over winter.
That's the way to do it! they definitely like to be ran. The one in my pic just sat for 3 summers though, and started right up first pull! i couldn't believe it...

If she runs, i wouldn't tear it apart too much. I probably wouldn't paint the cylinders or head or anything. do the engine cover, and from the engine cover down. Pull off the prop, and paint it your accent color.

sand smooth, paint, decal, clear.

If it's not too banged up, you can probably get away without media blasting...

Send me some pics when you get done, I'd be interested to see how she comes out!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

I have a 1957, 5.5 HP that looks exactly like yours, exept mine has not been restored. It's faded but in excellent condition. Had the coils replaced a few years ago and runs so smooth. Use it for a week every year and it starts on first or second pull after sitting all year. This was my grandfathers motor also. He didn't use it often, but all the relatives and neighbors borrowed it. Wish my fuel tank looked like yours. Mine sat in a shed for years and looks rough, but works perfectly. Always amazed at how low I can idle it and it still purrs. Fun to run and people notice it.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 TriStar 190 View Post
I have a 1957, 5.5 HP that looks exactly like yours, exept mine has not been restored. It's faded but in excellent condition. Had the coils replaced a few years ago and runs so smooth. Use it for a week every year and it starts on first or second pull after sitting all year. This was my grandfathers motor also. He didn't use it often, but all the relatives and neighbors borrowed it. Wish my fuel tank looked like yours. Mine sat in a shed for years and looks rough, but works perfectly. Always amazed at how low I can idle it and it still purrs. Fun to run and people notice it.
Refinishing one of these gas tanks is about as easy as it gets, and would be a project that could most likely be finished in a week or two working on it in spare time. The web site i put above has a great decal selection for tanks. The motor as well if you just did a quick mask, sand, paint style job. They certainly do turn heads, and there's just something about the look/smell/sound of a motor that's nearly 60 yrs old, and still runs and looks incredible.

I've got a bunch of those tanks i can restore. if you want to work a deal where you send me your old tank and some cash, i'll send you out a refurbed one.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Beautiful work there. Wow