Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-13-2016, 09:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft TriStar 220
Replaced drive belt - now running warm

Had the drive belt break on me 2 weeks ago, and I limped it back to the ramp. This week I replaced the belt with a new one, adjusted the tension to where it was running good, and now it is running warmer and alternator doesn't seem to be charging.

Before the belt broke (mind you my boat is an 88 and who knows if the gauges are right) my temp gauge stayed at 155-160, and it ran like a top. Yesterday the volt gauge would only get up to 12 if I was running about 2500 rpms, and other than that it was reading about 11. When I drove the boat across the lake the temp crept from 155 to 180 when I shut it down. I have no clue what it should be at, but it seemed to like 160 before. Also, a couple times it did not want to crank. Again, before it cranked with no issues.

All I did was replace the belt! Any ideas? I need to check the impellar and voltage leaving the alternator, but it was fine before replacing the belt.

Thanks TT!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanni848 View Post
Had the drive belt break on me 2 weeks ago, and I limped it back to the ramp. This week I replaced the belt with a new one, adjusted the tension to where it was running good, and now it is running warmer and alternator doesn't seem to be charging.

Before the belt broke (mind you my boat is an 88 and who knows if the gauges are right) my temp gauge stayed at 155-160, and it ran like a top. Yesterday the volt gauge would only get up to 12 if I was running about 2500 rpms, and other than that it was reading about 11. When I drove the boat across the lake the temp crept from 155 to 180 when I shut it down. I have no clue what it should be at, but it seemed to like 160 before. Also, a couple times it did not want to crank. Again, before it cranked with no issues.

All I did was replace the belt! Any ideas? I need to check the impellar and voltage leaving the alternator, but it was fine before replacing the belt.

Thanks TT!
Use one finger to press on the belt , half way between the crank pulley and the alternator pulley. How far does it move? If it moves more than about 1/2" with enough pressure to make your finger bend significantly (and possibly cause some pain), it's not tight enough.

If the belt slips, the alternator won't charge and the water pumps wpn't move enough water. Also, an alternator that's under load is harder to turn than one that has no load. Look at the back side of the belt- if it's shiny, it's too loose.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft TriStar 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Use one finger to press on the belt , half way between the crank pulley and the alternator pulley. How far does it move? If it moves more than about 1/2" with enough pressure to make your finger bend significantly (and possibly cause some pain), it's not tight enough.

If the belt slips, the alternator won't charge and the water pumps wpn't move enough water. Also, an alternator that's under load is harder to turn than one that has no load. Look at the back side of the belt- if it's shiny, it's too loose.
That makes complete sense. I was afraid of getting it TOO tight, and I guess it may still be loose. I will check it out, but I am pretty sure i have 1/2" or more play right now.