Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X-14
X14 Tower Adjustment

I have a 2009 x14 and the tower has somehow gotten out of alignment. The connection of the front port beam to the tower has a notch that is off just enough that I cannot get the two ends together enough to close the wrap around clamp. Seems like there should be away to make an adjustment to this notch, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks for your help.

John
Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Pictures and more detail as to how you got to this point please.

I'm thinking you lowered your tower for winter storage and are now having trouble getting everything back together possibly. If this is the case logic would dictate that if it was alright before you took it apart then it should be able to go back together without moving things around. I experienced this issue two years ago when I put mine away. I discovered that rotating the forward legs brought the tower joints back into alignment without using any tools or need to adjust the adjustable mounting points.

Try loosing the clamps and slowly rotating the front legs in each direction. one direction should make the alignment worse the other better. It took me a half hour to figure this out on my boat but once I did it went back together quickly. I can definitely see the advantage of the new towers now.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
TT Regular

x14 Tower Adj

You are correct. It was fine in the fall, I lowered the tower for storage. When I tried to put
it up yesterday the cutout would not align. Hopefully the picture shows it. I don't see which allen bolts to loosen on the front post to rotate it.

John
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
the tower leg on the forward leg of the tower swivels for some reason. all you do is twist it until it aligns.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 PM
TT Regular

Mine is out of alignment, but it does not twist.

John
Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
happens to me all the time. fold the leg into the bow for more leverage and give it a twist.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
What you probably need is...at the base of the front tower legs, there is a collar nut. Loosen it, and the tower leg will swivel. Tighten it, obviously the leg is stationary. It may have shifted over the winter. Problem is that you will need a Spanner Wrench to loosen/tighten the collar nut. I was told to go to a dealership because it is a specialty tool. I looked around, but could not find one to buy without specially ordering it. Fortunately a buddy had access to one through his work. Loosen the collar nut, reposition the leg, tighten up the coller nut and all is well with the world again. My boat is still in storage, but post a picture of the lower portion of the tower leg.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
That's what mine looked like and I was able to turn the front tower legs. Get someone to help get the weight off the front legs (lift the back portion of the tower up), the legs should be able to turn. If they were as tight as you say they are now they shouldn't have turned while in storage without and pressure on them.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
They will turn, like others have said lower the rear portion to get the weight off and you might need to fold the front legs for leverage, my guess is they need to twist out/away from the boat because when you lay them the bow they have a tendency to turn in.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
TT Regular

Brilliant !
Folding the post into the bow and twisting it worked and its all ligned up and secure now.
Thanks for the quick responses !

John