Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-13-2013, 12:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Actually, that comment about the water pump is correct. Some of you may have had problems with multiple circulating pumps leaking at the shaft seal and that was a GM part failure. The Sierra replacements worked because the seal they used was made to work with water as the coolant, rather than some kind of glycol. Greg (School Skier) had a Prostar and I replaced his pump three times before finding out that MC had been battling with GM over this. GM swore that they weren't at fault and denied the part replacements, MC claimed it was GM's fault and finally, started buying replacement pumps from Sierra so the boaters could get back on the water while the real cause was found. Turned out that GM changed the seal and didn't tell anyone about it. Rochester changed the choke plate on the EFI throttle body in 2000 by deleting the hole and it caused hot start problems- apparently, they didn't think about the fact that the engine calibrations were finished and again, didn't say anything about the change.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Actually, that comment about the water pump is correct. Some of you may have had problems with multiple circulating pumps leaking at the shaft seal and that was a GM part failure. The Sierra replacements worked because the seal they used was made to work with water as the coolant, rather than some kind of glycol. Greg (School Skier) had a Prostar and I replaced his pump three times before finding out that MC had been battling with GM over this. GM swore that they weren't at fault and denied the part replacements, MC claimed it was GM's fault and finally, started buying replacement pumps from Sierra so the boaters could get back on the water while the real cause was found. Turned out that GM changed the seal and didn't tell anyone about it. Rochester changed the choke plate on the EFI throttle body in 2000 by deleting the hole and it caused hot start problems- apparently, they didn't think about the fact that the engine calibrations were finished and again, didn't say anything about the change.

But doesn't the marine version on the GM have a different housing for marine specific hose connections?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Quote:
But doesn't the marine version on the GM have a different housing for marine specific hose connections?
I know the Ford 351w does...
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Not necessarily. Some have a cap on the bypass, some are blocked off and some have no tube at all. The pump body is just a standard older-style part that was used in the '80s and '90s before they went to the kind that has a removable core (3.8L, like in a Buick LeSabre). The pump that was on my '80s Cutlass would have been a direct replacement. The only one that was non-standard for most of GM's cars was the LT-1 pump with reverse cooling, but that was still standard for the LT-1 of that vintage.

The parts that had fittings for the exhaust manifolds, etc were additional parts, not part of the pump.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Not necessarily. Some have a cap on the bypass, some are blocked off and some have no tube at all. The pump body is just a standard older-style part that was used in the '80s and '90s before they went to the kind that has a removable core (3.8L, like in a Buick LeSabre). The pump that was on my '80s Cutlass would have been a direct replacement. The only one that was non-standard for most of GM's cars was the LT-1 pump with reverse cooling, but that was still standard for the LT-1 of that vintage.

The parts that had fittings for the exhaust manifolds, etc were additional parts, not part of the pump.
Ok..went out and took a look - as always Jim...you really know your stuff. I was going from memory... lol...my brain scramble the water pump and t-stat hose connections.. I had to go look and re-save the memory.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Other than two, I have always owned GM vehicles.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
The only one that was non-standard for most of GM's cars was the LT-1 pump with reverse cooling, but that was still standard for the LT-1 of that vintage.
Yep, the water pump on my '96 LT-1 was an ACDelco 251-537 with a steel impeller, which was standard for a '92 Corvette. The later years had a heater outlet on the pump.