Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyZone Costa Rica View Post
When I said , that's really what I meant. I honestly know next to nothing about it.

So, I wasn't trying to bust any balls, but just comparing 2 pieces of info I have.
I'm looking for a replacement engine, and have thought about using an automotive block (which I can find locally) vs a marine engine (which I'd have to ship from the states). An automotive block would make life much easier, but I don't want to end up with a half assed product.

Therefore this thread has my attention and I genuinely asked for your opinion.
Let's keep the info coming!
A decent machine shop can build you a great engine. People beat the topic down. They just want to sell you something. I have been inside countless engines in my time. A good refreshing and having the machine shop assemble the lower end (actually comes with a warranty) will build it perfectly fine for our boats.

It is a huge sales scam. The rods in the marine bada$$ because it says "marine" are not high quality. They in fact are low budget mass production engines.

I don't believe for one minute that a marine engine would last any longer Than an automotive engine. The quality of the reman marine and automotive will be the same. Just buy a good auto reman from a good machine shop. They would rebuild it with better bearings than the el cheapo neighborhood off brand bearings, and you will NEVER know the difference.

I NEVER said go down to pep boys or napa and buy the cheapest internals on the shelf. What we are debating is the internals from indmar vs automotive ford factory vs jasper. If you tear into a non molested indmar why does it have ford stamped rods, bearings both cam-rod-main, and pistons instead of indmar rods and pistons? Do people really believe Ford shut down the assembly line and say oh these are indmar specs, gotta build it differently??? Absolutely not. Indmar buys x amount of brand new engines and labels them.

Base model engines that we use are all the same quality internals. Just different accessories and different cam, heads.

I have an automotive short block in mine. It will be just fine. Nothing to worry about. Just get descent bearings, brass plugs. Rings, rods, pistons are going to be same quality. I ordered better pistons but rods were the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 04-11-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Kyle, can you put a marine engine in my truck? I want high performance.

Thanks man

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Kyle,
Wow! You are Right on the money! i've built a number of smallblocks and as you said, the stock engines aren't anything special internally. As you say, For what you pay for a rebuilt engine, you can build a very stout replacement engine with upgraded parts. Here's a list of the good stuff the stock chevy (sold to the marine engine companies)DONT have:
1. 4 bolt main block
2. Gm"pink" forged rods
3. Steel crank w/ nitride coating
4. High stregnth moly rod bolts
5. Forged pistons
6. Moly rings
7. Torque plate used when boring/ honing cylinders
8. Clevite or trw tri-metal bearings
9. Mellings high volume oil pump
10. Precision balance

Here's the list of good stuff they do have however (which is also in the engine above):
1. Brass freeze plugs
2. Windage tray
3. SS head gaskets

Everyone should judge how "special" these stock engines really are....now you'd be true in saying they run great and have excellent reliability without all these fancy pieces but if the cost is the same, why not build the most durable engine you can?

Last edited by Rossterman; 04-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Kyle,
Wow! Right on the money!i've built a number of smallblocks and as you said, the stock engines aren't anything special internally. As you say, For what you pay for a rebuilt engine, you can build a very stout replacement engine with upgraded parts. Here's a list of the good stuff the stock chevy (sold to the marine engine companies)DONT have:
1. 4 bolt main block
2. Gm"pink" forged rods
3. Steel crank w/ nitride coating
4. High stregnth moly rod bolts
5. Forged pistons
6. Moly rings
7. Torque plate used when boring/ honing cylinders
8. Clevite or trw tir-metal bearings
9. Mellings high volume oil pump
10. Precision balance

Here's the list of good stuff they do have however:
1. Brass freeze plugs
2. Windage tray

You judge how "special" these stock engines really are....
What we get a windage cloud in our motors? <<Yes I looked it up >>
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Kyle, can you put a marine engine in my truck? I want high performance.

Thanks man
Well, it's the plain flat one, not the wrap around tray used in LT-1s but better than nothing! He he
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@BAWS View Post
I guess the additional hardened valve seats in the heads are not really needed

WOW...I wish I had known all this prior to becoming a dealer. I guess if it is on the internet it
is all real and truthful!.

So the starter, the alternator, the fuel delivery... all the extra safety stuff is all BS. I guess I will
go back to selling car carbs and save the folks a few bucks..and when something happens to them I'll just walk myself over to the jail!
Well said
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Jim,
You make a good point on the hardened seats because these motors do use one of the best smallblock chevy cylinder heads coming out of chevy- the vortech heads flow better then some of the early bowtie aftermarket parts that GM performance sold in the day.

But, the hardened seat heads weren't made for marine use, they were taken from the automotive line and many vortech 350 truck engines have had them before they were used in boat engines.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
I think we have missed the point a little. When we started off we were looking at a remanufactured engine as a replacement for an exisiting marine application. I'm with Kyle and INTERNALLY there is no difference between what is a so called marine engine and an automotive engine. On this point definitely go with a machine shop to assemble the short block and choose some off the shelf New aftermarket heads select a compatible cam and modern ignition and away you go. 300 + all day. I made the mistake of buying a remanufactured engine from a shop 20 yrs ago and regret it to this day. Alternatively source a new crate motor. Externally however Jim has a point where marine applications require ignition source proof electric components.
On the issue of hardened valve seats, they made it into the automotive world down here in '86 with the introduction of compulsory unleaded fuel. Prior to this the lubrication provided by the lead in fuel lubricate them sufficiently to ensure they did not burn out. Hardened valve seats are a by product of necessity.

Last edited by dihrdskir; 04-12-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
This one I'm sure has a high performance marine engine!

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 04-12-2013, 01:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Kyle,
Here's a list of the good stuff the stock chevy (sold to the marine engine companies)DONT have:
1. 4 bolt main block
I was under the impression that we DID get the 4-bolt main blocks off the Truck line rather than the 2-bolt mains off the Car line. Maybe I'm just full of ... misinformation.