Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Gelcoat Replacement

Forgive me if I missed this but couldn't find a thread that addressed my particular question regarding gelcoat repair . . .

On the keel, forward, the gelcoat has thinned to the point where I can no see the darker fiberglass. Evidently, this looks to be from wear (my guess is beaching by the PO) as there are no gouges, dings, etc. Just a lot of dulled area and then of course where it's nearly worn through.

While I follow how to fix gouges, cracks, etc. this will be different, as the coat needs to by built up, and there is no "reference" point to get to the correct thickness. I'm handy and a quick learner but don't know where or how to begin.

Questions:
  1. What thickness should I be shooting for?
  2. Can gelcoat be sprayed on?
  3. Will it adhere and be okay where it would get feathered to the existing coat?
  4. If not, would it work to lay down some kind of reference strips (like thin plastic) and then build up to thickness--then remove strips and fill those areas? Again, what thickness?
  5. Where (and what kind or compound) of Gelcoat should I buy? Boat is a 2007 197TT in white.
  6. Is this the kind of job that should really only be done by a shop?

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
Forgive me if I missed this but couldn't find a thread that addressed my particular question regarding gelcoat repair . . .

On the keel, forward, the gelcoat has thinned to the point where I can no see the darker fiberglass. Evidently, this looks to be from wear (my guess is beaching by the PO) as there are no gouges, dings, etc. Just a lot of dulled area and then of course where it's nearly worn through.

While I follow how to fix gouges, cracks, etc. this will be different, as the coat needs to by built up, and there is no "reference" point to get to the correct thickness. I'm handy and a quick learner but don't know where or how to begin.

Questions:
  1. What thickness should I be shooting for?
  2. Can gelcoat be sprayed on?
  3. Will it adhere and be okay where it would get feathered to the existing coat?
  4. If not, would it work to lay down some kind of reference strips (like thin plastic) and then build up to thickness--then remove strips and fill those areas? Again, what thickness?
  5. Where (and what kind or compound) of Gelcoat should I buy? Boat is a 2007 197TT in white.
  6. Is this the kind of job that should really only be done by a shop?

Thanks in advance for any guidance
You should be able to do this yourself. Get the gelcoat color code from MasterCraft, but have your HIN ready as that will let them know exactly what color it is. You can more than likely get the color from Spectrum and yes it can be sprayed. Since it is just a smaller job, I would buy a Preval from Home Depot or Lowes as they are not expensive and disposable. You may have to mix a little acetone with the gel to thin it out a little, but it should spray pretty well. You will have to sand the area and around the worn part. See the instructions provided by Evercoat, which is another option, but just a little more difficult to match it up perfectly yourself. You should get the idea with this though. There is always a keel guard if you don't like the desired results too.

http://www.evercoat.com/imgs/pis/gelcoat.pdf

Here is a Preval online. Make sure you get it with the glass jar and I would order a few of them, just so you don't run out of air in the middle of the job.
http://www.boatersland.com/prv267.html
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
You should be able to do this yourself.
Thanks CCMC2--that's all the info and encouragement I need to get it done!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Anytime!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Anytime!
Sorry I mangled your handle. . . thanks, CC2MC