Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Taught my 4 year-old to ski off a 5' section off the boom, just to get him used to the pull up. He was very short and light for his age at the time. We used my kids skis from the early 1980s and we just tied them together so they couldn't spread more than his shoulder width.

Once he mastered the start, we would let him ride for a bit, then slow down to a stop, and pull him up again and again. After about 2-3 days off the boom, he went behind the boat at about 28' off length and he popped right up. Never went back to the boom.

Kids progress fast. Within a few weeks, we untied the back of the skis, and then a few weeks later, we untied the front.

The next year, we did the same process to teach him to slalom ski, and within a few weeks again, he was back behind the boat.

Now, at age 6, all he wants to do is barefoot. I'll keep him off the boom for a while there.

Kids are pretty resilient...biggest challenge is managing their expectations and trying to remain positive while they're telling you you have no idea how to drive a boat!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I held the rope for my 5 yr old. Started her and her younger sister close just behind the rooster tail. This way I could talk to them as well as give them some security. Once they were up slowly let the rope out to 65ft. did this the first few "learnng days". Not they are out all the way to 70ft all the time

I also second this
Name:  trainer.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  49.8 KB

My daughters loved it, as did all their friends. Very user friendly. You can go as slow as 5-7mph or crank up to 12mph and higher. It can get them comfortable with speed and also teach them how to edge. It just takes up a ton of space in the boat
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
This thread inspired me to look for something for my 5 year old daughter. I've been trying to get her to try wakeboarding or surfing, but she is afraid to try. Picked up one of these off craigslist for $50. She was sitting on it in the driveway and excited to give it a shot tomorrow.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...D=GSHOP_715459
Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I get the kids floating with the board and rope and tug them by hand. Usually they float for a few minutes and are done. I try and teach them how the board floats and to relax, then when they feel the tug push against it and try to keep their butts in the water. After a while they are ready to be tugged harder, the younger the better because you can pretty much pull them up by hand. After a week/month/day (they all progress differently) they are ready to be pulled over so they feel a face plant, this is the most important step, as you want them to see they will float and get used to holding their head up, if they are very young they most likely can't flip the board back over under their own power and will have to wait for the boat to come around.

You can do all this in a pool too.

To teach them to flip the board have them straighten out as long as possible and roll hard, again very tough for kids six and under. All this applies to wake boarding but I noticed a few boarders joined the thread..good luck!

Here's my 4 year old:
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365915443.420352.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  72.7 KB
Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting him going as soon as the ski trainer gets here!