Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-08-2013, 05:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes, 351 windsor
My 1984 Stars and Stripes Restoration

Hey guys, I am new to this forum but I hear this is the best place to be to learn about everything mastercraft. I came upon a 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. On the surface it scared me a bit. I'm 22 years old and I've restored 2 old VW buses so I know the amount of work involved. We bought it from a friend of a friend who assured us it looked rough but it was all there. He hadn't taken it out in almost two years but did some work a few months ago as he was planning on taking it out this summer. So far these are the things I've done. I color sanded and waxed it and it was amazing how it looked brand new. Interior and carpet was completely replaced. New wood and boxes as well for the seats as the old ones were pretty rotted. I replaced all the water hoses, belts, spark plugs, impeller, battery, coil, fuses, bilge pump and plan on rebuilding the carburetor, servicing the transmission and replacing the seal on the drive shaft (boat takes on quite a bit of water and I hear this could be the main reason). Put a stereo in it with alpine equipment everywhere. Boat came with a brand new bimini top and a cover that was a couple years old. Trailer was completely redone about 2 years ago, painted, led lights, everything. I plan on freshening up the dash, engine/transmission work listed above, teak deck, etc. This is my first mastercraft and so far I love it after taking it out for our first trip last week. Anything that I missed that absolutely needs to be looked at/replaced?

Check out some of the pics...

http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/t-...Stripes?page=1

(Photobucket includes all pics I have so far.)
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2013, 06:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
That's a nice looking boat that you have after the work. Not as bd as I've seen but certainly a project. How is the steering? If it is hard you likely need a new cable there's a thread somewhere on here explaining it. What do plan to do to the dash. Mine is not good, so I'm looking for how to do it.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 PM
TT Newbie

Yeah it definitely isn't as bad as I've seen and it's been a lot of fun restoring this thing. The steering isn't very hard. It's not loose but it definitely isn't a workout. I want to try to keep the dash original but I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start. I might just take it apart, polish or anodize it, replace the gauges etc. Working with old VWs I know it's always better to keep it original but I'm not sure on this one.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
looks nice!!! engine shots?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Wow

Wow, what did you do to get it that shiny?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
TT Newbie

I'm gonna do some work today so I'll post some engine shots a little later.

My interior guy color sanded it while everything was out of the boat. In the top pictures you can see a small area by the front star where I tested buffing out the gelcoat and it came right out. When I got it back from the interior shop it was already pretty shiny so I hand waxed the entire boat for the finish you see in the pics.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Looks like a legit find! good looking boat! I hear JIM@BAWS is the go to guy for decals. I have also seen replacement sets on ebay. I read you put a new stereo in your boat, where did you mount them? I'm in the process of putting a system in my 83... i really don't like wiring
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Very nice! Interior looks great.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Looks like you learned the right stuff working on the VW's. Very nice!

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 PM
TT Newbie

The decals do have some age to them but I think I'm going to keep them as is. I mounted the head unit in the dash under a waterproof cover. The amp is mounted upside down under the dash. There is a 12 inch sub in a box in the bow. I have a 6 1/2 inch speaker and a 6X9 inch speaker mounted in each side, 4 total. Those pics were taken the day before the stereo was installed. I'll post a couple more to show you exactly where everything is.

Tags
1984, s&s, stars and stripes