Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: X2 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
I have just returned from my annual Service Club golf outing. I played well. The Service Club is compiled of a group of ex WWII and Korea Veterans. Every year I am amazed at the quality and fortitude of these people. We play golf and have dinner. The dinner table stories are of nothing I have ever heard before. They speak of fallen brothers and mishaps at mess. Tonight I heard, ":what ever happened to suldowski?" You know! He was killed by that sniper outside of some town in some place. What about the 1,500 we have lost so far in Iraq? What about the 6,000 we lost at Iwo? Point being taken is that every year I wonder what I could do to pay these guys back and I have come to realize that they did it because they feel they owe us! They would leave today and do it all over again! These guys are bad Mo Fo's and would level anything that would threaten you or me! They are our fathers and friends. They've lost more friends then we may ever know. They are a lost breed that needs to be remembered. No matter what war, no matter how far they deserve much more than we can ever give. They are the ones that save the day, score the touchdown, consider it a job well done and return, one way or another, to their homeland, the USA. I doubt I will ever experience this dedication to a common group of people so strong. I never served and at this stage in my life I probably won't. I would like to say I appreciate all that have fallen for me and those that will fight for me no matter if I believe or not. They were called and they answered, big time! Sorry for the rant but these guys and girls deserve it. Thanks also for the forum.
HB
HB
Well Said………..

It is easy to go thought our days forgetting that we have men and women
Dieing for our freedom each day, and the men and women that have given
There lives for our freedom in the past …………

How do you say Thank You to the men and women that serve us?

Bye looking them in to there face and saying “Thank You”

It is a small thing, but to them, it goes a long ways
Old 09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Good thread HB
I dont know how I missed it a year ago! Wait yes I do, I was runnin like hell from a hurricane!

We'll never be able to completely repay those who have fought and those who have died for our freedom but we can remember it as we vote!

I don't want to go off on a rant here but the emotion you get when you read HB's story of the Vets ought to somehow be bottled so you can pop it open in the voting booth when you read some of the scoundrels names on the ballot who block that same emotion of their own when promoting their causes.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:24 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
More info on my golfing partner yesterday (Robert (Bob) Palmer).
I though 175 missions sounded a little high but here it is!
http://www.atterburybakalarairmuseum.org/afa.htm
Wow!

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Before he passed away last year I had the opportunity to meet and help organize the Birthday Golf Tournament for Brigadier General Robert L. Scott, author of God is my Co-Pilot. His bio is here. An excerpt from his book really says it all

"We were fighting for the American Girl.....Democracy, Coca-Colas, Hamburgers, Clean Places to Sleep or the American Way of Life."
Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 AM
MC Platinum

Very cool Lakey. It is nice to meet people of this caliber and so amazing as to how well grounded they are. Nicest people you can meet more often than not are extremely successful.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Thanks for the thread HB. It reminded me of my father's friend and my godfather Erik Shilling who flew with the Flying Tigers in China (http://www.warbirdforum.com/erikrip.htm ). He is the guy who came up with the shark's teeth design on the front of the planes. After WWII he stayed in SE Asia, eventually flying covert missions for the CIA into communist China, Laos, etc. That guy could tell some stories... Actually, he put a lot of them into a book.

Like the other guys you all met, he was one of the nicest guys I've ever known.

R.I.P.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190

Last edited by shepherd; 09-22-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
Good thread HB

Ya know, on a related note, I had an uncle that passed away 2 years ago. The last time I saw him he was in a Vets Hospital. Wow, was that a sobering experience for me to go through. That put a REAL perspective on life for me. Made me feel very humble walking through those halls looking at all those old gentlemen who gave so much for our country and for us. Most WWII vets, some Vietnam Vets too. My dad really got to see it when they brought a bus load of Veterans in for medical appointments one day while he was visiting my uncle. there were so many with amputations or permanent disabilities of some type from injuries incurred from war. He said how much it impacted him to see it. It makes you stop and think when you see an old gentlemen lying in a hospital bed missing a leg, alone in the room, no TV, no radio, lying there wearing his Veteran hat with the pins on it. Makes you stop and think about things. Unfortunatly I dont deal with situations like that very well, but it makes you want to walk up to one of those veterans, shake their hand and say "Thank you" and just give them some company for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:14 PM
MC Platinum

I could talk with and or about these guys all day! I do not know any kid that did not regard the Flying Tigers as the coolest planes in the sky.
P-40 Warhawk? I cannot remember but I do remember the two of them shooting down countless planes in Tora Tora Tora. Great stories from great heros.Amazing how many Heros we may be coming in contact with every day yet do not realize the greatness in our presence. They could be anyone I meet and deserve my respect.
Very nice point UMP.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
One of these is my brother Cory, picture taken last week in Iraqi. He is down to less than 90 days and he will be coming home from his second tour. We pray for his safe return every day and very soon we will see those prayers answered. I have never served but come from a family who has, Father, 2 brothers, wife, and son. My sincere thanks go out to all the soldiers who have fought for my freedom. And I also thank the families that have lost a loved one's in the fight for our country.
For this I am truly grateful
Attached Images

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
I've got to say they don't makem like the WWII/ Korea guys any more. My Grand father was awarded a PH when a piece of mortar shell went through both helmets. Knocked him out for two weeks. Can't hear out of one ear nor taste or smell as a result.. Never asked anybody for a thing.. He is 90, still cuts the grass at all of his rental houses.. If you try to help him he gets mad... Different breed there..

Amen... River Rat

Last edited by Monte; 09-22-2006 at 01:01 PM.