Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 205, 1995, 350 V8
Re-Sticker the Decals in Chicago Area

Good Morning Fellow TT members,

A friend of mine recently purchased an early 90s Prostar 190.

He purchased new decal stickers to replace the old ones on the boat but at this point is unsure as to where to look for someone to put them on.

Do you know anyone in the Chicago area (south suburbs / Northwest Indiana) that could help with this? Maybe Southwest Michigan too?

Thank you!

Jim
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
they are pretty easy to apply. I did my own without any previous experience. You can find some u-tube videos showing how. Be sure old decals completely removed and clean/buff hull. Wipe with a good solvent to remove any wax. Then put 2-3 drops of dish soap in a spray bottle of water. Locate where you want the decals and hold them in place by putting a piece of tape along the top. Then remove the backing and spray the decal and hull lightly with the water. Apply the decal. You will be able to move it around a little to get in the proper location. The use a credit card or small squeegy to remove the water and any air bubbles. Let it dry over night and you will be done. If you are using original size, should be no problem at all. If you are going for a large decal or "wrap" then it might get a little more involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJ_205 View Post
Good Morning Fellow TT members

A friend of mine recently purchased an early 90s Prostar 190.

He purchased new decal stickers to replace the old ones on the boat but at this point is unsure as to where to look for someone to put them on.

Do you know anyone in the Chicago area (south suburbs / Northwest Indiana) that could help with this? Maybe Southwest Michigan too?

Thank you!

Jim
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Hi Jim,

Are the decals new? if so then you can forget the dish soap. Newer adhesive is re-position-able for a short period and you don't want the left over soap residue any ware under the decal.

If you really want the decal to last you'll want to get one of these edge sealers. http://www.signsplusbanners.com/item...quid+Laminates

Sorry Dr. but have to give different instructions.... was area with dawn dish soap - enough soap in water to feel slippery - this will remove any wax or residual grease. rinse...rinse rinse...

Then wipe down with 30% isopropyl or moonshine - this will remove any residue and not leave and haze residue. If you want to feel safe to re-position - a little distilled water.

Before you apply...place decals on a smooth face up so you can see decal. use a credit card to rub decal against transfer tape. This will ensure a that decal transfer well to transfer tape.

Get some masking tape to make a hinge on the transfer tape...

This one is pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uUu-SCz1OY

I work for a vinyl printing manufacturing company... most important...take your time..
Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
[quote=mikeg205;923051]Hi Jim,

Sorry Dr. but have to give different instructions.... [quote]

No problem, I've only done it once! Didn't know about not using the soap. I hope my decals stay attatched. they seem to be OK.