Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
205v, Xstar, X1 jabsco pump mount pics needed

Starting the ballast install on our 2001 205v. Removed the back panels and can't figure where/how to mount the ballast pumps. Possibly i need a bracket from M/C? Can anyone snap me a pic of how they are mounted? There looks to be a composite block under the lifting eye backing plate but is too small to mount a pump to and clear the bolts from the lifting eyes.

I'm using the johnson pumps (which are pretty heavy) so don't want to cause any flexing or stress cracks in the glass down the road.

Options seem to be:
1.Fabricate a larger metal backing plate (1/4" alum?) and mount the pumps off to the side without any reinforcement underneath them
2. Space out the rubber pads another 3/4" and screw into the composite backer directly over the lifting eye backing plate and locknuts
3. Something i haven't figured out yet?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
The pumps are mounted inside of a rack / cage / housing

However another spot on the earlier models is on the divider walls all the way under the rear bench seat by the ski pylon bracket

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Last edited by swatguy; 04-08-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
The pumps are mounted inside of a rack / cage / housing

However another spot on the earlier models is on the divider walls all the way under the rear bench seat by the ski pylon bracket
Swat guy,
Can you describe more about this rack/cage/housing? Where does it sit and is it something that I could fab or would have to buy? Any pics?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Your boat may not have the mounting panels glassed in. There is pic in this post from a 2002 xstar. It's a little hard to see, but there is a large rectangular support glassed in. The pump is mounted on it and the transom eyelet support goes through it. That is how my pumps came installed from the factory.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...9&postcount=17
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM
MC Devotee

This thread may be helpful to you. P-hat installed aerator pumps in his 2001 205v. He mounted the pumps on panels on the back of the rear seats. I think you have to be logged in to see the pics.
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=53991
Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
Your boat may not have the mounting panels glassed in. There is pic in this post from a 2002 xstar. It's a little hard to see, but there is a large rectangular support glassed in. The pump is mounted on it and the transom eyelet support goes through it. That is how my pumps came installed from the factory.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...9&postcount=17
Thanks for the picture. As you correctly guessed, the composite mounting plate in mine doesnt extend much past the lifting eye reinforcement. Im thinking about adding a 1/4" x 5" x 6" alum plate to mount them. Bolting through the lifting eye and mounted between the fiberglass and the steel reinforcement plate. Hopefully the leverage wont cause stress cracks due to them being mounted without support underneath them.

I considered mounting to the seatbacks but have a factory wiring harness that is designed with the branches off the harness spaced to fit the original mounting locations.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 AM
MC Devotee

Rosster,

I dont have any pics at the moment of my install. My boat is tucked away. I should have it in a week.
The cage I mention is for mounting on the transom. I will try and find a pic for ya. IT puts all 3 pumps in a row on this bracket and allows you to mount them as a "unit". Have seen several Mfg's use this along the transom mounted off the top side of the transom. Several other MFG's use this config on the transom area to keep the pumps above the engine area for easy access. Risk is if you spring a leak it can drip right on the alternator. Its not an MC specific piece at all.

As far as mounting the pump to the point in JRW's pic (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...9&postcount=17). I would highly advise against that mounting point. I would assume you are going to be running bags back there now. No matter what size bag you put back there it will shift and bump up against that pump. Especially if you're planning on running 750's back there. It's stress on the bag and pump that should be avoided.

There are two other spots more commonly used that won't require any bracket or brace.

(1)If you are on your back seat looking towards the transom open you center engine hatch. You will notice the divider panels. Before you get to the standard plastic removable panel there is a fiberglass portion attached to your rear bench area. You can mount a pump on each side of that very easily. That is where I installed my Johnson for my IBS.

(2) This is the most common I have seen because it will hold all 3 in one spot if you are starting from scratch. You remove the backrest portion of your rear seat. Very easy and straight forward. Its all fiberglss under there. You mount all 3 pumps to that wall. Mount the pumps as high as you can get them on the back side inside the rear storage compartment. Through bolt them with a flexi washer on the fiberglass side to prevent cracking and snug them up .

Hope those 2 places I described made sense.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Rosster,
As far as mounting the pump to the point in JRW's pic (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...9&postcount=17). I would highly advise against that mounting point. I would assume you are going to be running bags back there now. No matter what size bag you put back there it will shift and bump up against that pump. Especially if you're planning on running 750's back there. It's stress on the bag and pump that should be avoided.
There's a carpeted panel between the pump and the bags. That panel mounts to stops on the top and bottom. It's not like the bag comes in contact with the pump. It's the factory location. There are plenty of people with pumps mounted there running 750s, and I've never heard of a problem.

The only thing I don't like about that location is that it's a little bit of a pain to remove the panels to access the impellers. If I were starting from scratch, I would try to mount them on a bracket will all three in a row like you said. A friend's nautique 210 has all 3 pumps on one bracket mounted horizontally just above the engine, which makes the impellers really easy to access. Here's a picture:
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 PM
MC Devotee

JRW,

I understand that there is a compartment in your boat for the pump. However the OP has a 2001 205v. There is not a pull away compartment in the storage area on the transom from my recollection. The reversible pumps were not used until 2002. So he would have to build the access panel from scratch. Mounting it in that location without the panel to seperate it would not be the best option. Maybe I misunderstood and he has already fabricated that access port back there, but I believe he did not. Maybe he could answer that. If he did then bolting a mounting plate to that ring with the pumps pre fastened would work. Again maybe I am missing something here.

Thanks for finding a pic of that setup with the rack for all 3pumps above the engine area. It's still frozen and rainy here with no access to boats just yet.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
JRW,

I understand that there is a compartment in your boat for the pump. However the OP has a 2001 205v. There is not a pull away compartment in the storage area on the transom from my recollection. The reversible pumps were not used until 2002. So he would have to build the access panel from scratch. Mounting it in that location without the panel to seperate it would not be the best option. Maybe I misunderstood and he has already fabricated that access port back there, but I believe he did not. Maybe he could answer that. If he did then bolting a mounting plate to that ring with the pumps pre fastened would work. Again maybe I am missing something here.

Thanks for finding a pic of that setup with the rack for all 3pumps above the engine area. It's still frozen and rainy here with no access to boats just yet.

Jwr & Swat guy,
You both are correct I have a 205v and it has the panels against the back transom but no hatches anywhere in the compartment. You have to unscrew the panel at thenbottom to gain access. I like the idea of the mounting suggestion in the picture but think that I might have to scrap the factory harness if I did that since its designed for use with the stock jabsco pump location. Might consider glassing in a composite block or gluing a block to the fiberglass with epoxy.