Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
I'm not at home so I can't snap a pic. I put mine under the accessory switches above the drivers right knee. I put it as far to the right as I could. I used a piece if scrap 2x4 and used it as a spacer. I just screwed through the bottom of the housing for the wires for the accessory switches. I measured carefully so I wouldn't destroy any wires. The 2x4 is the perfect spacer as my ws420 is pretty much flush with the bottom of the dash. I had initially bought a led lit piece of plexiglas as a housing, but it looked like it would take too much space from the driver, so I just went bare. If you want the led housing, I'll sell it at a loss.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 mastercraft x30
Jafo9,

Any idea how Lon of a screw you used by a chance?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
TT Newbie

So I got everything installed and it all sounds great. I had a problem with whining coming out of the speakers when the motor was running, so I moved the head units power and ground wires to the power and ground distribution blocks for the amplifiers. That took care of the whining. Now I notice a hissing noise out of the speakers when the volume is turned all the way down. Any suggestions as to what I should do to do the hissing noise?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Is there hiss on both tower and interior which are on two separate amps?

All time or just when engine running?

Gain set too high is often an issue but if you have it set up properly, wires are next to look at.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
TT Newbie

There is a hiss on both the tower speakers and in boat speakers. They both have different amps. I am going to check gains later today or tomorrow. The hiss is when the engine is running and when it is off also. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Gains too high can be a problem but if the gains are set correctly (using a clean source like a CD, flat eq, HU at 85%, gains up til distortion then back off 1-2 oclock), lowering them may just mask the true problem.

Since engine is off, that eliminates engine noise.
Ensure Power cable is not next to speaker or RCA wires.

Try working backward;
-Unplug the RCA from amps, still hiss? check speaker and power are not together.
- Direct connect amps to mp3 player with 3.5 to rca cord. Make sure mp3 player volume is down. Use different RCA or source player if hiss still exists.
- Hook up RCA cables and use barrel connectors on the HU end of amp RCA's connected to mp3 player
- Run a separate, longer RCA around from HU to amps and test.
- Run a separate speaker wire directly to a speaker

Basically try to isolate each piece to determine where the hiss originates. Cheap, thin rca can be a problem as can an older or pinched connection or 50 other things.

Tags
audio, speakers, stereo, tower wiring, wetsounds