Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Once that boat is under power, you're going to want more power to the speakers. That 52W drops drastically when you talk about cotinuous power (RMS). Those speakers will be receiving no more than 20W RMS. I have 45W RMS to my speakers in my 83, and at speed I have to crank it pretty loud to hear my tunes. Just FYI, you might consider doing it all at one time.

Forgot to mention that I have those same speakers in mine.
What type amp are you running? Watts? Ohms?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM
MC Devotee

Got all the speaker boxes mounted today. Just gotta drop the speakers in!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI*MC View Post
What type amp are you running? Watts? Ohms?
It's an Alpine Flex5. An old 5 channel car amp I had back in the day laying around, and it works great for this setup. Gives me decent power to all the speakers, it's efficient, and still runs a sub without needing a second amp. I dont remember the ohms, but I assume it's 45Wx4 RMS @4 ohms plus 100W RMS x1 for the sub @ 2 ohms. It has plenty of power for the setup I have in there.

Here's where I put the sub/amp. The head unit is down there too out of my way. For reference, the triangle thing between the amp and the white head unit enclose is my foot rest under the helm. It doesn't eat up too much storage space.

Here's the dash. You can see where I put the head unit under there and also a couple tweeters on the dash.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Are you running this off the 1 battery or did you install another? Also did you upgrade your alternator?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by roush611 View Post
Are you running this off the 1 battery or did you install another? Also did you upgrade your alternator?
You referring to me? If so, no I didn't upgrade the alternator. I do run dual batt's... I keep one for all the stock equipment, then put a Optima Blue top in for just the stereo. I pull the blue top out after the weekend, bring it home, put it on the charger, and put it back in on my next outing. I don't have them both hooked to the alternator.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Quote:
You referring to me? If so, no I didn't upgrade the alternator. I do run dual batt's... I keep one for all the stock equipment, then put a Optima Blue top in for just the stereo. I pull the blue top out after the weekend, bring it home, put it on the charger, and put it back in on my next outing. I don't have them both hooked to the alternator.
Got ya. Im looking to do the same kind of set up and just trying to figure out the battery situation.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
I have been considering a second battery, because i seem to have some luck with running down the battery while at the lake. I've also thought about just keeping a jump pack in the boat for emergencies. Where is your second battery mounted? By the primary battery?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI*MC View Post
I have been considering a second battery, because i seem to have some luck with running down the battery while at the lake. I've also thought about just keeping a jump pack in the boat for emergencies. Where is your second battery mounted? By the primary battery?
I don't have it "mounted" per say. I just set it just forward of the observer seat base up under the bow towards the center of the boat. The two tubes that come down from the front scoop are slightly to the right of the battery when you're looking towards the bow... if that makes sense. I've been in some pretty rough chop, and have never had issues with the battery falling over, or moving at all. Makes it easy to pull the battery out for a recharge too, since it's right there. I'd hate to mount it up in the bow somewhere and have to climb in there every time to get it out.

I do want to do a battery switch set up this year, just haven't gotten there yet.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM
MC Devotee

Some progress on the stereo... I had to divert some of my attention into the steering, the cable is shot.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2013, 03:31 PM
MC Devotee

So I finished wiring the stereo this past friday... And I am one happy camper! It sounds great and I can't wait to get her in the water this summer.

I also decided to wire a switch for the stereo also I didn't want to have the hour meter running just to listen to the radio. I located it directly above the ignition.

I also wired up some LED's
Attached Images