Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-11-2015, 10:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1990
1990 Mastercraft Prostar 190 - New to me

Picked up a 1990 Prostar 190 from a co-worker / friend. It's got the 351 with the 1.5:1 Powerslot and ~1200hrs on it. Been talking to him about it forever, but needed to agree on a price. Boat's been sitting since 2007 in the elements (his job, family, and other interest have taken up his time), needless to say it needs A LOT of TLC but he did say it ran great when he parked it 8 years ago (he wouldn't lie to me). Pics below are when I first looked at it 1 1/2 years ago sitting on his friends property (still looks the same).. A couple months ago he finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I picked it up. Just sold my pontoon boat last weekend so now've given myself permission to start diving into this project.

My immediate plan is to make sure it runs strong and take care of running gear issues before tackling cosmetics. I'll clean it out and give it a good bath, but don't want to deal with buffing / wetsanding or interior until I know it's "vitals" are healthy.

That's why I'm turning to you guys. What would you replace, flush, service, etc. before even firing it up (or taking it out).

I know it's gonna be a long haul, but I love these old mastercrafts and am hoping to bring this one back from the dead.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 10:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Good project boat.

Keep us posted w/pics.

Welcome to TT
Old 03-11-2015, 11:09 AM
TT Newbie

More Pics

Sorry for the bad formatting, still trying to get used to the Forum.
Thanks for the kind words Aquaman. I'll keep you guys updated.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 prostar 205/1985 stars&stripes
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=65219
Give this a read, should answer most all questions.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
Good project boat.

Keep us posted w/pics.

Welcome to TT
Thanks aquaman. I'm hoping it looks worst then it actually is. Luckily the weather is fairly forgiving in my area year round or else it'd likely be in much worst shape. I'll keep the pictures coming along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=65219
Give this a read, should answer most all questions.
Thanks Paco, that's exactly the kind of tutorial I was looking for.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I've got the same boat, just a year older. Yours actually looks like it's in a little better shape than mine when I got it, at least as far as the interior. Just go slow, check/change what you can- plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, all the usual tuneup stuff. Good plan to change out the oil, trans fluid, check/clean battery, starter electrical contacts.
Enjoy the ride!!
G
Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM
TT Newbie

Progress...

Wanted to get it cleaned up before I started really "working" on it. Forgot to get some "true" before pictures. It had ~6" of pine needles covering the entire boat.

Still not where I want it to be cleanliness wise. But it's a starting point. Next up is getting it fired up for the first time since 2007.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2015, 04:28 PM

One of Kyles Custom Cup Holders and black sunbrella replacement fabric on that bimini top sure would do wonders for it cosmetically!

Nice boat btw!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
One of Kyles Custom Cup Holders and black sunbrella replacement fabric on that bimini top sure would do wonders for it cosmetically!

Nice boat btw!
Thanks RiverRat. It could use one of Kyles cup holders. The bimini is actually in great shape. Cleaned it with the pressure washer and threw the cover/boot in the washing machine. It's not perfect, but there's A LOT of other cosmetic things I'll be focusing on before I tackle that.

I'm so impressed with the durability of the sunbrella fabric it's making me think it's time to bite the bullett and order a new sunbrella boat cover (found one for ~$411 delivered) since it'll be stored outside for a while. But wanted to make sure it runs good before I do that.

I'll be ordering some 303 cleaner and protectant soon and finish cleaning up the interior. As well as a buffer with different cutting compounds and waxes to restore the shine.

This weekend was about getting it "clean enough" so I can start my mechanical work without feeling disgusted everytime I get in the boat.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Looks good so far.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams