Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Nothing new about turbos. If they are well lubricated and cooled they will last a long time.

They last over 25,000 hours on the engines that I deal with.

Most Turbos that is! My wifes Volvo is in for a turbo right now and the mechanic said it is common with the XC90 (common!! did they maybe think theres a problem???) I agree the ford looks great, but would also wait to see if they have the Volvo common issue after 5 plus years.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Tacoma is an absolute no for the 209. I have an X30 and a Tundra with the 5.7. It does a good job. Had a Sequoia before with a 4.7 and it would pull it, but wasn't a lot of fun. Tacoma would get pushed around.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
As a previous Volvo xc90 owner. I didn't know that they were putting turbos in them? Mine was set up with the V8 power plant for when we test drove the I6 it would not get up of it's own way.

What's the spec of that xc 90 you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Most Turbos that is! My wifes Volvo is in for a turbo right now and the mechanic said it is common with the XC90 (common!! did they maybe think theres a problem???) I agree the ford looks great, but would also wait to see if they have the Volvo common issue after 5 plus years.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
I have pulled various ski boats with various vehicles from 4 cylinder turbos to big v8 (both gas and diesel) and although every vehicle I used got the boat from A to B. My recommendations is buy the rig YOU want and like. If you can afford (heck even if you can't I don't care) have fun and drive it cautious with what you are towing. You may make it to the water faster with more or less gas milage. You may get stuck on a ramp or two. But once the boat hits the water and you are out putzing along you wont think about it until it's time to pull it out again. Get what you want.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
So right now I'm driving a 05' denali with 115k. Yukon has been solid to me for 3+ years but have the "newer" bug. Looking at 10'-12's and maybe even a 13 depending on price. Also gas mileage is brutal on the 6.0. I put about 20-30k on my cars yearly and 13mpg overall is a killer especially most of that being highway.

Other note: I only tow the boat 5 miles to the launch and 5 miles with an occasional 100 mile roundtrip 1 or 2x a year so overkill is not needed.

REALLY like the Ram 1500 and being I've had such good luck with my GMC have to throw the silverado in there. Any opinions on both. I've considered an f150 too but the looks leave alil to be desired for me.

Any opinions would be helpful
We have a 2008 Silverado with the 5.7 engine and it does great. Live in the Dallas area and originally went to pick up our boat east of St. Louis, so quite a drive and hilly in lots of areas and it did well. Gas mileage isn't great, but towing 5k of weight pulling an X30' not sure you can expect much.

We also have a 2008 tahoe and it does very well with the x30 also, in some ways better given more rear weight, but just harder to see out of for backing and such.

We are chevrolet fans.

If you only had the 5 miles might suggest an older 4 wheel drive jeep for convenience and fun. But certainly not for normal towing. We sometimes use our '85 CJ7 to get the boat in and out of storage given the shorter wheel base for backing into and between the boat storage buildings. It is a V6 with a five speed and pulls the boat fine, just would not suggest much highway as the boat is just too big. Nice to have though and quite fun !Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365602674.150350.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  87.6 KB
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
After owning 2 Chevy Avalanches (02, 09), I test drove everything this time. Nothing really compared to the Ecoboost F-150. I bought a 2013 in Dec. I have 10,000 miles on it now with an average lifetime gas mileage of 19. My last road trip was 20.5. Granted, this is flat Florida with mild temps.

I liked the Avys due to the ride, but this 150 is just as smooth. The EB motor is something else.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
[IMG]If you only had the 5 miles might suggest an older 4 wheel drive jeep for convenience and fun. But certainly not for normal towing. We sometimes use our '85 CJ7 to get the boat in and out of storage given the shorter wheel base for backing into and between the boat storage buildings. It is a V6 with a five speed and pulls the boat fine, just would not suggest much highway as the boat is just too big. Nice to have though and quite fun ![/IMG]

Would love to go that route. Actually considered an older topless bronco or blazer. Have had a ton of jeeps but just wouldn't trust them without a ton of towing mods. With summer here its just too late to start another project

And yes I was like 16 in the first pic

Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
hey anyone have an opinion on 2wd for the ramp? found a 12 ram i really liked but its 2wd
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Very much depends on ramp (slippery/steep/muddy) and size of boat.

Personally, no way. I don't ever want to end up in a you tube ramp video and so I do everything I can think of to avoid it
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
hey anyone have an opinion on 2wd for the ramp? found a 12 ram i really liked but its 2wd
as stated, wet/mossy/slippery ramp/steep could provide issues ... but I towed for years with only 2 wd with little issues getting up/down ramps. I would suggest only if it has a posi rear end it should be fine 99% of the time ... it's that other 1% that might end up on YouTube