Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 prostar 190, 2004 prostar 197
Swing away

Hey I'm having a difficult time in disassembly of swing away. My fluid is contaminated, the shock absorber (actuator) needs replacing and the roller on the top pin is frozen. I'm trying to take apart the swing away to press the pin out to rebuild the brake reservoir and actuator. My question is how to remove the bolt where the tongue pivots to swing, the bolt will not turn. Help please!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Post a picture...not sure exactly what you are referring to...if it is the bolt that the pivot part of the tongue pivots, isn't it just held in place by a nylon nut?

I would not imaine that someone welded it in place so it could not come out.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 AM
TT Newbie

Its the bolt with the locking nut. I removed the nut but the bolt will not turn or move even when hit with a 10lb hammer. The swing away moves back and forth but I guess it could be rusted to the sleeve.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill708 View Post
Hey I'm having a difficult time in disassembly of swing away. My fluid is contaminated, the shock absorber (actuator) needs replacing and the roller on the top pin is frozen. I'm trying to take apart the swing away to press the pin out to rebuild the brake reservoir and actuator. My question is how to remove the bolt where the tongue pivots to swing, the bolt will not turn. Help please!
Why are you wanting to remove the swing part of the tongue? I would just remove the two bolts in the front that hold the whole trailer assembly (tongue, actuator and all) and just pull it out of the trailer? You will need to swing part to loosen up the brake line but I don't know why you want to remove the whole swing part when you really just need the complete actuator out?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
TT Newbie

The top pin that holds the assembly has a roller that is frozen/rusted to the pin. I can't get the pin out(I tried a hammer and heating the roller, not moving) so I'm trying to remove the swing away so I can press the pin out of the roller. This is an 04 boat and trailer so I guess weather and wate. I could cut the pin on either side that sticks out and drop the assembly out. This project is growing legs.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
That bolt is just rusted in there - it is a tight fit! Shoot it with some lubricant and let it soak. Then you'll have to drive it up and out with some force. I had the same issue with mine recently as I was replacing the Reliable tongue/actuator with a UFP.