Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991 351 ford
starter won't stop

Got the boat out and ready for the lake today only to discover several problems. Started out it was turning over like it does at the beginning of each season. Generally its much more difficult to crank the first time after winter. Midway through the engine turning over the engine stopped but the starter continued to spin. Even when I turned the ignition key off and took it out the starter continued. I was only able to stop it when I disconnected the battery. It sounds to me like an open circuit somewhere but when it comes to electrical I have no clue. Any ideas??
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
To me it sounds like a low voltage issue, and your starter solenoid hung, I would charge the battery and see if that fixes your issue...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Aside from charging the battery, I would go a few steps further. I would clean all battery cable connections including the ground at the block. I would replace the starter solenoid, as once they stick like this, the contacts are damaged. I would also have the starter tested for too much current draw.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas skier View Post
Got the boat out and ready for the lake today only to discover several problems. Started out it was turning over like it does at the beginning of each season. Generally its much more difficult to crank the first time after winter. Midway through the engine turning over the engine stopped but the starter continued to spin. Even when I turned the ignition key off and took it out the starter continued. I was only able to stop it when I disconnected the battery. It sounds to me like an open circuit somewhere but when it comes to electrical I have no clue. Any ideas??
Open circuits don't cause things to work. Usually, the solenoid sticks or the Bendix hangs up because it hasn't been lubed (this is supposed to be done annually).
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991 351 ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Open circuits don't cause things to work. Usually, the solenoid sticks or the Bendix hangs up because it hasn't been lubed (this is supposed to be done annually).
What is the bendixz? Is it generally accepted that the solenoid needs to be replaced every season. If this is hung that would make me replacing it once a year for the past 3 years.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
What is the bendixz? Is it generally accepted that the solenoid needs to be replaced every season. If this is hung that would make me replacing it once a year for the past 3 years.
The bendix is what engages the teeth of the starter motor to the flywheel of the engine, no the starter solenoids does not need replacing every year, only needs replacing if it has failed, and yours is most likely damaged from the low voltage.

As far as lube on the bendix the starter motor needs to be removed to service it.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
If you want your starter (including the solenoid), alternator and battery to last as long as possible, NEVER crank it until the starter slows down. This means no cranking for more than about 5 seconds, definitely no cranking for 30 seconds to a minute and if it slows down, stop and let everything cool down before cranking again. If it hasn't started by this point, it's not going to.

That will save the starter and battery, but if you want your alternator to live long and prosper, never kill the battery, jump start it and run the engine. If the battery dies, recharge the battery, instead. Also, if you need to jump start another engine, shut your engine off before cranking the other one- your alternator may only be rated for 60-90A and a starter cranking and engine can draw 150A, often much more. Your voltage regulator will never handle that load.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
If you want your starter (including the solenoid), alternator and battery to last as long as possible, NEVER crank it until the starter slows down. This means no cranking for more than about 5 seconds, definitely no cranking for 30 seconds to a minute and if it slows down, stop and let everything cool down before cranking again. If it hasn't started by this point, it's not going to.

That will save the starter and battery, but if you want your alternator to live long and prosper, never kill the battery, jump start it and run the engine. If the battery dies, recharge the battery, instead. Also, if you need to jump start another engine, shut your engine off before cranking the other one- your alternator may only be rated for 60-90A and a starter cranking and engine can draw 150A, often much more. Your voltage regulator will never handle that load.
Didn't know that one. Thanks. I had to jump start a friends boat last season. It would not just start with the cables connected. I had to run my engine with jumpers connected to his battery for a couple of minutes first. And we had to keep mine running. Only then would his start. I had an uneasy feeling the whole time.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Didn't know that one. Thanks. I had to jump start a friends boat last season. It would not just start with the cables connected. I had to run my engine with jumpers connected to his battery for a couple of minutes first. And we had to keep mine running. Only then would his start. I had an uneasy feeling the whole time.
That's common.

Most jumper cables are somewhere between undersized and worthless, if you ever need to jump you want to very heavy cable, as short as you can have and still do the job, and with good clamps.

The cable was not allowing enough juice to flow from the charged battery to the starter of the dead one.

The solution is to hook up the cables from the good battery to the starter's lug and the ground near by on the block of the dead engine. Then it should fire up asap.

Not great for their alternator, but you'll get it running.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Aside from charging the battery, I would go a few steps further. I would clean all battery cable connections including the ground at the block. I would replace the starter solenoid, as once they stick like this, the contacts are damaged. I would also have the starter tested for too much current draw.
same thing has happened to me, mrmastercraft has it right, this worked for me...