Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X-25
Thanks guys for the info!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
You can use whatever bindings fit your feet the best EXCEPT Slingshot. Ronix n Lf are probably two of the most dominant in the bindings.

I would stay away from the liquid force Shane's. They are super flexible with not much support. They are more for an advanced ride who really likes to poke out grabs and tweak everything.

I would stay away from the ronix cells. They are super stiff and any movement you make being out of body position or maybe trying to hang on to a landing will be transferred directly to your board making it super responsive and unforgiving if you're out if position. Other than that have at a few you can try on.

I love the Ronix Ones. Close second is the Ronix Kai. May it may not work for you. Bindings are really dependent on foot shape so try a couple on. Just remember they will break in an get a 1/4 size bigger at least. So you want your toes barely touching in the closed toe bindings before your mold them with socks on.

If you're in a budget spend a bit more in the bindings and go with a "lesser" board. Happy feet are the key to boarding. A comfy binding is way more important than a specific board.
I find your comments interesting (notice I say interesting and not wrong). I have Ronix Cells and love them. Then again, I'm an avid down hill skier and would never ski on anything less than a 4 buckle boot and maybe that is the reason for my preference. My son has the Ronix Ones. Even though they are a size (length) bigger than my foot, they are very difficult for me to put on because I have a wide fore foot. My son loves his Ones and can't stand my cells. When I got my Cells, I tried on a bunch of different boots and the cells turned out to be the most comfortable for me.

As mentioned comfy feet are important. Get to a shop that has lots of selection and try them all on. Your feet will most likely tell you which ones feel good and which ones don't. If they don't feel good in the shop, they are likely not to get any better on the water!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by packman312 View Post
Guys, thanks for the guidance. Any advice on closed toe bindings? Can I go with any brand or should I stay within LF if I am getting the trip. Thanks!
There were older bolt patterns a few years back. As long as you stay with relatively current years, you should not have a problem mixing brands. Detail - http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-and-wak...formation.aspx

One thing to note is that the new LF boards (2011/2012 or there abouts I think) will need the M6 metric screws; The 1/4-20 will ruin the threads if used. I think LF used to provide some metric screws with the board when they first made the switch but I think they have stopped that.

I think Ronix switch to M6 in 2013.

So if you get an older board, boot and/or other brand, you may need a quick trip to the hardware store.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
I find your comments interesting (notice I say interesting and not wrong). I have Ronix Cells and love them. Then again, I'm an avid down hill skier and would never ski on anything less than a 4 buckle boot and maybe that is the reason for my preference. My son has the Ronix Ones. Even though they are a size (length) bigger than my foot, they are very difficult for me to put on because I have a wide fore foot. My son loves his Ones and can't stand my cells. When I got my Cells, I tried on a bunch of different boots and the cells turned out to be the most comfortable for me.

As mentioned comfy feet are important. Get to a shop that has lots of selection and try them all on. Your feet will most likely tell you which ones feel good and which ones don't. If they don't feel good in the shop, they are likely not to get any better on the water!
I too myself love a stiffer boot. I like the lock down feeling. It's also from wearing my hockey skates for years, ski boots, and now snowboard boots. I always find myself picking the most supportive, tightest fitting boot I can find.

I rode the Cells from the first day they were realeased all the way to 2009. They fit the best. I have a very narrow foot. So up until 2009 they had the smallest last in the line that locked my foot in. I also loved the support. I ride pretty hard tho and am intermediate to advanced rider. The Ronix Ones were way too sloppy on my foot back then. In 2009 Ronix changed their baseplate and binding material. They had an entire new last n fit to their bindings from my experience. I went to the shop to pick up my " yearly new pair" without even trying them on. I had had the Cells for a while and new what size I needed. Only I got home and went to ride in them and my foot was all over the place. Went back to the shop and tried on every boot in the Ronix Line and long behold the Ones now fit like my pre 09 Cells did. It was like they swapped lasts. I now fit perfectly in the Ones.......crazy how that happened. I do notice a little less response than my Cells due to the softer flex in my Ones, but have grown to ride with it because it feels like I have slippers on.

Being familiar with ski boots you can understand the stiffer the boot they much more responsive your ski will be. Softer the more forgiving it will be. One of the reasons a lot of freestyle skiers choose a much softer boot than racers. They need that extra leeway for landings on big tricks and to gain style points. The racers want every movement transferred immediately to their skis. So imagine putting a beginner skier on a set of super stiff race skis and a race boot(ie a stiff cell). That beginners every move will go straight to those skis with no room for forgiveness. So hence my caution to maybe stay away from the stiffer Cell boot.

I will say LF used to claim tge Watson boot as being stiff. From my demos and things its not nearly as stiff as the Cell. IMO the Cell is one of the stiffest boot on the market and the Watson stiffness is on par with the Rinix One

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
I just ordered the Hyperlite State w/ Remix bindings and delivered checked out at a total of 221.00. They have a promotion going on at Evo knocking 50.00 off anything over 250.00. I thought 221 for a decent beg/intermed board was excellent.
1996 Bayliner 2050